Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,alt.med.veterinary,sci.bio.microbiology
Gregg Gregg is offline

Default Ozone Generator -vs- Cat Urine Spray?

N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc) wrote:
Dear Gregg:

"Gregg" wrote in message

Thanks for your input Dave.
It's good to hear from the other side!
- Don't be sorry! It's good to here solid advice before
throwing money & time down the drain.
I'd like to provide a few more details about the diffuser
(We made standard ceramic disc, dome & Sanitare
type diffusers for municipal waste water systems -
they have fairly low transfer efficiencies as do teflon
membranes ( per internal O2 transfer testing in 30'
water column)

Yes, you cannot improve oxygen transfer in wastewater, and if you
do succeed you get no return. There is just too much crap in the
water to get more oxygen in.

This is a ceramic membrane diffuser system -fine
ceramic membrane coated on a large pore ceramic
body which acts as a plenum. A 3/4"or 1" NPT SS fitting is
used - screws right in -

How is the SS bonded to the ceramic? Aquatic Ecosystems sells a
*very* inexpensive diffuser stone that lasts about a year then
unbonds, blows off, and sinks to the bottom of the contact basin.

the diffusers are balanced for DWP - that is - they
can be manufactured to very tight tolerances unlike standard
diffusers.

Tell this to Refractron.

The end result is- you don't wind up with dead or low flow
diffusers in the grid.

You do if you reduce gas flow to 20%, as is being done now in all
large municipal applications.

(If it's plumbed correctly!!) even though they have a
very flat Flow vs P curve. These membranes are also designed to
prevent clogging (A long explanation is
required)

You cannot change chemistry. Unless you have a polymeric surface
that fractures accumulation, you will still have pores getting
blocked.

I talked with him last night - the diffuser can get
100% transfer in short column depths 8ft so no
ozone destruction is needed.

Pure horse manure. His dissolved oxygen level must be so low
that *no* bubbles break the surface, otherwise Henry's law gets
thrown out. I don't think a diffuser can change the laws of
physics at the surface.

Someone just sold you a "low mileage" used car, sir. Pay no
attention to the racing car numbers still faintly visible under
the spray-can paint job.

Having said all that - There is still a hell of a lot
of expensive plumbing required and maintenance
would be a pain. He's not looking at selling
systems - just diffusers... With the additional info -
do you think there is any benefit?

In small systems, sure. Big enough for your "friend" to make a
living at (or not get sued doing), probably not.

Thanks for the input Dave...
It would only be a minor addition to his product lines. (more of an area
of personal interest - water treatment.)
As far as getting sued - He wouldn't violate valid patents. (or invalid
ones with out a right to practice opinion)
He has a very solid background in diffuser technology ... .and some
interesting results and stories.
I'm pretty sure I don't have all the details right ;-). - I shouldn't
relay second hand information, but It sounded like an area of interest
for both you and my friend.
If you're interested - I can give you contact information - it sounds
like you two might have a pretty interesting discussion.
(he loves technical banter)

Gregg

David A. Smith