Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m Ian_m is offline

Default Surge Protectors

"DD" someone@somewhere wrote in message

Not sure if this is the right place to ask and I know a few electricians
frequent this site so....

We did the right thing some time ago and bought surge protectors for all
the pc and entertainment equipment, or so we thought .........

A power surge last week and one fried tv later, and we now discover that
the cheap ones are hardly worth having! Did not realise there were
different standards of surge protection.

So can anyone recommend a good surge protector please? What
specifications should I be looking for?

Thanks for all the replies. Am cogitating and digesting the various
suggestions and comments.

I checked the earth wire and found it had unwound itself from the mains
downpipe...Uhhhh!

We use things like this at work after repeatedly having our ADSL modems
fried via both phone and mains lightening induced surges.
http://tinyurl.com/2l7l4t

Since fitting not had a dead modem. Fitted on a large board with phone and
ethernet filters (+large earth lead) so as to keep the unprotected wiring as
far as possible from the protected wiring (2 foot I seem to remember being
the key distance).