Posted to uk.d-i-y
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Surge Protectors

On Apr 10, 12:12 pm, "Bob Eager" wrote:
While I agree about Belikn (as already stated), you have once again
chosen a bad example:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consume...cle_id=418955&
in_page_id=5

As one doctor noted about miracle cures: if 1000 different solutions
exist for a disease, then it's a sure bet that none of them do
anything useful. Cough syrups were are another 'miracle cure'
industry. Why was he talking about cold remedies? Those cough syrups
may have been identified by their manufacturers of killing some small
children. Profits apparently were too high to be honest - just like
plug-in protectors.

The OP had a protector on his TV - and the TV was damaged. Bud's
own citation Page 42 Figure 8 shows how a plug-in protector can earth
8000 volts destructively through an adjacent TV. Plug-in protector
manufacturers know this. But when selling a three quid power strip
with a few pence of parts for tens of pounds, well, honesty is someone
else's responsibility. They have Bud to promote more myths.

Maybe we should blame the victim - the original poster - for his own
TV damage. Clearly a power strip protector was not at fault. Bud
tells us so..