Gunner

Default firearms - modern labor saving devices.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:27:58 +1100, "A.Gent"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:41:45 +1100, "A.Gent"
wrote:
King's Cross? Oxford Street? Cabramatta? Redfern?
I've driven cabs for a living, and on the midnight-to-dawn shift the only jobs

going
are 'round there. Worst violence I suffered was a drunk puking in the back of the
cab. Should I have shot him?

Did you have reasonable cause to believe that your life was in danger?
If not..of course not.

Hehehe
Post in haste, repent at leisure. Of course not. Bad example on my part.
Maybe if I really was as "cranky" as my munged return addy suggests (I'm not), then I
might've shot him. Geez - I wasn't happy.

Chuckle..I drove a cab for a while once upon a time..its always grim
when your fare is a couple drunk chicks..and the first one gets the
heaves..which sets the other one off as well...double your
pleasure..double your fun... You learn where the car washes are
really fast.

Where are these "wrong places"?

Redfern is a good start. The "Block" sounds like a dangerous place to be
after dark. Kings Cross has always been a exciting place....

As a student I walked through Redfern (railway stn to the uni) every day for 3 years.
A little later, 2 nights a week for two years. No problems.
I *could've* entered into some situations (usually with drunken antagonists), stirred
up trouble and been in deep manure - but I chose to walk to uni instead.

How long ago?

The block is as bad as you make it. Incidents of violence and intimidation occur,
but the vast majority are directed at family members. (Lemme rephrase - "within the
same family.")

Random acts of violence only seem so prevalent because they are replayed over and
over again until it seems that they happen all the time.

Cops are in danger in some area of the block at some times. They *are* packing.
Doesn't help against the drunken tactics employed against them.

Does it keep them alive? Thats the name of the game...

======

King's Cross? Much cleaned up and gentrified since the days of my youth. A lot of
the sleaze has moved to the 'burbs, though prostitution and drugs still abound.
Certainly not dangerous to walk around. As I said earlier, I drove cabs
midnight-to-dawn around the Cross and never felt the need to pack heat (as they say).

Please, tell me you don't believe the nonsense they write in the tabloids? (Ref

the
recent "riots" in Redfern. pshaaww!)

Heroin addicts tend to make assault a habit as well...

Of course. I cannot deny their existence.
Discretion and sensible habits can (and do) minimise your own personal risk exposure
(without resorting to carrying arsenals).

Define discretion and sensible habits thankyouveddyveddymuch.

I simply go where I wish, when I wish, with no fear. Shrug. Id just as
soon not wander through the front yard of the Bloods or Crips, but if I
make a wrong turn, I dont sweat it.
Shrug.

Shrug.

You can't reduce all your risks to zero, and you shouldn't reduce a risk by
introducing a complicating factor which exacerbates it (packin' heat, that is.)

You are laboring under a false pretense..that having a concealed weapon
exacerbates something. How can it? If its concealed, no one knows you
have it. They have no reason to push or play drunken macho games. Its
only used as the final response to a bad situation.

If you're dopey enough to walk through some places with $100 dollar bills stapled

your coat, then yes, indeed: "...the world can and is a very dangerous place."

So you are saying that one can indeed be in danger in Sydney? Lets
replace those $100 bills with expensive cameras and do the same shall
we?

Been there, done that. Used to be nuts about photography (still am, actually).
Never been mugged for them.

Had a chap on a Lambreta try it once on Tudo Street. He had an
accident.

Am I going to sling five Nikons around my neck and go prancing through Cabramatta
after midnight?
No.

Why not? Dont enjoy night photography or exciting local sceanery?
I'm not a bloody idiot! (despite protestations...)

So you are saying that you are afraid to go about your lawful business?

Not going to play chicken with a Mack truck either.

Playing chicken with a Mack is not lawful business.

Is Sydney a war zone where you need to pack heat in order to be safe?
Shrug.
Whadd'ya reckon?

Seems, as I indicated, parts of it are unsafe for the unarmed. Ive never
said it was a war zone, but if you are afraid to go about your lawful
business..its sounds like it has some scary places.

Interesting set of strawmen you fabricate. Is there some reason you
felt the need to spin and divert?

Fair go, Gunner. That's pretty rich coming from Mr
"I've-read-it-on-the-net-therefore-its-true" Gunner.

Thats pretty rich coming from someone afraid to go about their lawful
business.

Jeff.
(still surviving, gunless and swordless, and not paranoid, in Sydney.)

Good for you. What makes you think anyone with a gun, or a fire
extinguisher is paranoid?

Ummmm... (?)
Did I say that?

Yup.

I've got a fire extinguisher and a jack and a spare tyre. Never felt the need to
threaten ayone with them (yet).

So you consider a gun is something to be used to threaten with? Its
good you didnt have one as a taxi driver, if your self control is so
poor.

Shrug

from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=paranoia :
"...In its mild form paranoia may consist in the well-marked crotchetiness exhibited
in persons commonly called "cranks." "

I notice the term "may" at the beginning of the sentence. Frued also
indicated that sometimes a cigar is simply a cigar.

Your fan club (bless 'em) might not see the connection...

Im sure they do, but most will consider it improper.

Some will, however.

Some folks believe that Elvis is running a stop and rob in Fresno.

Cheers for now, Gunner.
Sleep well...
...though how you can with one eye open, I don't know.

Jeff

I sleep very soundly when in safe and secure surrounds. When Im in less
safe surrounds..the little night watchman tucked in my backbrain keeps
track of things and wakes me as needed. Ask any old combat vet about
their night watchman.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long