JMartin957

Default firearms - modern labor saving devices.

As George Will once said, "...no society can be called successful where
violence is so prevalent and random that lawful citizens must go about
prepared to dispense violence in self-defense."

If you've given up on the idea of a successful society, or if you like
things the way they are, then making self-defense with a gun an

acceptable
and unremarkable part of your life is a reasonable response. If you

haven't
given up, it's something you do with great distaste and with a

determination
to do what you can to change it.

Ed Huntress

So having a spare tire and a jack in your car means that you dispair of
having good tires?

That's what Will was talking about. Comparing human lives to tires is
evidence of a spiritual failure.

Ed Huntress

I haven't seen that quote in context. On the face of it, though, I don't think
that Will was talking about spiritual failure of any sort. It was a simple
statement of fact.

I hope that you weren't implying any sort of spiritual shortcomings among those
who feel that going armed is the solution.

The real spiritual failure is that the society has failed to inculcate -
through moral education, fear of punishment, or whatever - in a significant
portion of our population a respect for others.

I hold human life sacred - it is our greatest gift. But then, I'm a black and
white kind of guy. Once someone crosses the line and attempts to do me serious
harm, their life in my value system becomes absolutely worthless. I've never
had to shoot anyone. I hope I never will. If I do, I'm sure that I will have
nightmares about it afterward. Those I can't control. But would I feel less
moral? No.

My father used to say about the Quakers that he admired their philosophy, but
that it was a good thing that they had the Scots/Irish between them and the
Indians.

No one ever said that our society was successful. It is, however, the best
we've found yet.

John Martin