Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Woodworking Classes?

On Apr 5, 9:06 am, Corner of My Mind wrote:
wrote:
1. Go to the public library and read the woodworking books. All of
them. Read first to get you exposed to the tools and different
methods of doing things.

I like to write on the margins and highlight passages in books so I'll
probably end of buying most books. Well, if I did get library books, I
guess I could photocopy the interesting pages and then write on those.

Read the books first to see if they are worth buying and
highlighting. Most books repeat the same things. There are only so
many ways to make mortises and tenons or rip boards or crosscut
boards. After reading 3-4 books you will likely get tired of reading
anymore. But press on anyway.

2. Best/only way to learn a hands on craft such as woodworking is to
do it. With some basic knowledge and ideas gained from reading the
books. Think of something you want to do, then read up on the
specific task you want to do.

Oh...I do that. I tend to research topics before doing them and one of
the reasons I decided to subscribe to this newsgroup.

3. Decide if you have the tools to do the job. Buy, borrow the right
tools to do the job. Or figure out an alternative way to do the job
with the tools you have. May have to reread up on the topic.

Is woodworking an expensive hobby in order to have a "complete" set of
tools needed? What would be a good budget? $1000, $2000, $5000, other?

I don't even want to suggest a budget. There is sort of a Catch 22
involved. The more skill you have, the fewer tools, the cheaper tools
you need. Your skill compensates. Less skill, the more tools you
need to insure your lines are cut straight. And the more you use the
tools, the more skill you acquire so you don't really need as many
tools.

I think a table saw is very important. It will allow you to complete
projects easier and faster than figuring out ways to do the job
without a table saw. And completing projects is important when
starting out because it gives you a sense of accomplishment. Table
saws range from $100 to thousands and thousands and thousands of
dollars. Hard to say which is right for you.

Read the various books that are aimed at the person starting in
woodworking for a hobby. They suggest tools. Usually OK but
affordable tools. You can look them up online to see what the budget
suggested by the books is.

4. Do the job. Only way to learn a craft such as woodworking is by
doing.

Yes. I imagine so. I just wanted some direction first from a teacher so
that I don't make a mistake I can't fix (like losing a finger).

If you use common sense when working with tools, and proper safety
gear, you usually have to work at injuring yourself. Not saying you
can't easily cut your fingers off. But if you think about what you
are doing, and use safety devices where appropriate, the chances are
less. The books cover the basics of using tools correctly to minimize
accidents.

I've taken several classes. A few hands on where I used the tools and
a few where I sat in the audience and watched a slide show or the
woodworker do the task in front of the group. Hands on were the
best. But even then you have to immediately follow up at home with
the same task to really learn the task or you forget it too quickly
after the teacher shows you how. Watching others do it is enjoyable,
but without hands on experience or an immediate job to apply the
technique to, there really isn't any learning.

Learn woodworking by doing. After you learn some stuff on your own
then maybe take a hands on class for something specific. Maybe
reinforce what you learned on your own or to correct something you are
not doing right now. But the class will really just build on what you
already know. It won't get you started.

Sort of like learning a little first so that you can then ask an expert
more insightful questions.

Yes.

ok.