JMartin957

Default OT- The Deadliest Men

Had I been on that LIRR train, the guy would have gotten off one or
two shots, but after that either I would have stopped him, or he would
at least have spent a lot of his ammo on me rather than those poor
unprepared people.

They did wrestle him to the floor after he had expended his
ammunition. I don't believe that the state should have a
death penalty, but in this case if a private citizen should
happen to accidentally pop the guy during the confusion and
then walk away, I would be hard-pressed to identifiy exactly
what he looked like.

"It was just so fast and confusing, I'm not sure if he was
tall, short, thin fat, blond, bald, male, female."

Jim

That comment, while it probably does accurately reflect today's climate, makes
me sad. Because you should remember exactly what he looks like. So that when
the mayor presents him with a medal you'll be there to thank and congratulate
him too.

But you're right, it often doesn't work out that way. The police and DAs don't
like people treading into their territory. Even if the guy is eventually
acquitted, he'll have spent considerable time and money getting there. That
stinks.

I was watching a "cold case" (true) type show the other day, and the DA being
interviewed said that he would not prosecute a case unless he was convinced
himself of the person's guilt. I'd like to think all are like him, but I guess
I'm a bit too cynical.

My mind keeps going back to just after 9/11, when a federal official remarked
that it seemed some of the passengers on the flight that crashed in PA might
have "taken the law into their own hands". It struck me as an odd choice of
words, as it seemed to me to imply some amount of disapproval. Actually, I'd
be surprised if there were not some passengers or crew on the plane itself who
urged the others to do nothing and to leave things to the authorities.

John Martin