Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How do I fix a broken electrical conduit that is attached to a concrete slab?

On Apr 7, 9:51 pm, wrote:
On 7 Apr 2007 12:21:12 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

You can probably just cut the wires 8" or so from the ground, set a
box tight against the slab and continue with a good conduit from there
with your splice in the box. As long as there is still a grounding
path you should be OK. If they did not pull a grounding conductor you
may be pulling the wires out adding a ground and pulling them back in.
That is usually easier than trying to sneak a wire in. Pull a string
in with the wires as you pull them out.

If do that need plastic box and seal and ensure have wet-rated cable.
I'd still prefer the more extensive route but could perhaps get this
to work ok. If not buried and wet cable, could, pull it for that
section. Key thing I'm thinking of is that the conduit rusted off at
the slab level is a water collector and even caulk doesn't hold
permanently w/o to prevent water collecting in the old conduit
eventually...

ALL underground conduits collect water and are required to have "wet
location" rated conductors. The conduit is really just there for
physical protection.

But, there's a difference between an intact conduit and an open
vertical end flush w/ a slab acting as a drain. I'm also wondering in
the case if they buried EMT outside in concrete (as it looks like this
was from the pictures), chances are the cable isn't what it should be
as well.

I still don't much care for the idea of leaving the existing conduit
on the slab level, even w/ the box sitting over it -- I'd go to the
trouble of repairing the conduit run one way or another despite the
extra effort. The idea of re-routing is a good one if feasible
although I guess OP has kinda' put the kibosh on it...