Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I fix a broken electrical conduit that is attached to a concrete slab?

I have two rigid metal electrical conduits that came off the concrete slab
along the exterior wall. One is next to the AC unit and one is next to the
swimming pool filter and pump. The one next to the pool filter is an often
wet area and the wires are exposed as seen he

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000932.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000933.jpg

The conduit next to the AC unit has not broken off yet but will be soon, it
is all corroded at the bottom:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000931.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000930.jpg

Any suggestion how to fix that? Do I need to chip out the slab and make a
hole to replace the conduit? or is there some sort of a mender to fix this
kind of situation.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 1:05 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

i think no electrical box is permitted at your point of damage, and
your pictures show there is extensive damage. your electrician will
evaluate the job and replace the full run from the nearby panel with
appropriate gfci as required in your local ordinance.
there may be hidden damage as well of wire corrosion that may reach
toward the panel requiring a new breaker.
he will determine the required limits for the path of the new conduit
based on your local code.

general info at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-.../preamble.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks. But the nearby panel is 75 feet away on the other side of this
concrete wall. Most of the runs are in rigid metal conduits either in the
ceiling or inside walls, then it comes through the foundation out of the
slab to service the AC or the pool pump. So this is really at the very end
of the run where this exposed portion is damaged. The wires themselves
seems fine, I don't think it is practically to run a new conduit from the
garage all the way to this same location. There has to be some sort of
repair kits?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

Is that rigid conduit or EMT? I don't think that I have ever seen rigid
corrode like that. Regardless, I am not aware of any quick fix repair kit.
It is likely that water is inside the pipe and that the part under the slab
is corroded as well. Is the conduit being used as a grounding conductor or
is there a grounding conductor wire in the conduit? If the conduit is the
grounding conductor, then it is probably not effective right now. I suggest
that you cut back the conduit to where it is still good and install a
junction/pull box and run new conduit using PVC.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I question the same thing. It looks like EMT to me. While EMT can be
installed in concrete, it generally cannot be used as an underground
conduit. If it is in wet ground under that slab, it may have all
disintegrated, and would need to be replaced. The most important thing would
be the system ground. Be sure that the conduits are not being used as the
grounding conductor, and if they are, pull new ground conductors through
them. Once your grounding is confirmed and adequate, you could possibly
sleeve a length of PVC over the metal conduit to protect what's left of it

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 7, 1:52 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

No repair kit but I don't believe there's a problem with an exterior
weather-proof accessible box for the repair. (The key here is twofold
-- it's accessible, and it's not new but required repair work. I
can't quote chapter/verse but believe code makes allowance for such
circumstances.) But, it does need the conduit replaced from the point
of good material to the other end through the slab to wherever it goes
to make a good connection on an accessible location on the other side.

It looks like it would have been a lot easier to have done it when the
new plastic that shows in the picture wasn't there from an access
standpoint as you're going to have some good digging and hammering to
get access, but what's done is done. You may find renting a small
handheld jackhammer profitable depending on how much concrete is
actually there and how good it still is.

I seriously doubt the conduit was/is the ground, but it is possible.
Verify because you certainly don't have an effective ground if it was
supposed to have been and you won't when you replace this section with
platic which would be my suggestion to avoid the galvanic action of
metal conduit in contact w/ concrete and standing water after every
rain which is unavoidable given the geometry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I will double check. It is hard to tell due to corrosion and being painted
over. There is nothing on the other side of the exterior wall, I may have
to open the drywall to see if there is anything on the inside that is
accessible. The exterior wall is poured concrete (not block) 8" thick and
these pipes runs inside, then shoots out and come up via the AC concrete
pad. I guess I can open a hole and get to the "bottom" of the pad and see
what is going on. This was original work since 1972.

It will be tricky with the pool pump area since the PVC pipes and returns
are right there. May be to cut the PVC pipes off just to get access.

Thanks,

MC

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good point with the ground I will double check. Not looking forward to
breaking the concrete pad up.

Now the portion that is corroded but not yet broken off... is there a way to
salvage that?

Can I spray something to slow the corrosion and wrap something around it?
Guess not, it might break just by me messing with it.

Ouch...

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If it is steel tubing, which is what it looks like and you can chisel out
concrete to a point where there is good metal, you could install a coupling
and replace the bad section. If you do find good metal in the concrete, I'd
suggest using a tubing connector and a threaded coupling, and changing to
threaded galvanized pipe

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
news

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 7, 10:12 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 7, 1:52 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"buffalobill" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Not knowing what is on the other side, I can't be certain, but I think
the only correct repair is to replace the conduit from one accessible
location to another on the inside of the wall. Whether it would be
acceptable to simply add a section of conduit to or just below the
present slab surface depends on whether the cable is underground/wet
rated or not which is indeterminate from the pictures. Unless it is,
it needs to be in the conduit all the way.

I think the only recourse here is to break out enough of a hole to be
able to replace the section as needed. Once that's done, of course,
the other thing you might consider is to run a (say) 2" outer conduit
for the other to run inside and then re-pour around that leaving the
inner conduit not in contact w/ the concrete. You would then need a
weather seal on the outside to prevent rainwater, but if it's above
the slab it wouldn't need to hold against standing water.

They original installation should never have poured concrete directly
around what appears to be just EMT. And despite the other suggestion,
you don't want a repair of non-electrical-rated conduit and plastic
would be a far better choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 7, 1:37 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 01:05:24 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

You can probably just cut the wires 8" or so from the ground, set a
box tight against the slab and continue with a good conduit from there
with your splice in the box. As long as there is still a grounding
path you should be OK. If they did not pull a grounding conductor you
may be pulling the wires out adding a ground and pulling them back in.
That is usually easier than trying to sneak a wire in. Pull a string
in with the wires as you pull them out.

If do that need plastic box and seal and ensure have wet-rated cable.
I'd still prefer the more extensive route but could perhaps get this
to work ok. If not buried and wet cable, could, pull it for that
section. Key thing I'm thinking of is that the conduit rusted off at
the slab level is a water collector and even caulk doesn't hold
permanently w/o to prevent water collecting in the old conduit
eventually...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking that this would be a good application for PVC, but it's a
little late now...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

[...]

That was my first suggestion some time earlier in the thread (and
still my opinion of the best long-term solution despite the upfront
effort).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On 7 Apr 2007 12:21:12 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

[...]

I hate doing any repairs twice. I'd be inclined to cut off and abandon the
exisiting wiring in place, and find some better route for for the wire. The
plumbing for A/C goes through the wall, not under it. Is there a basement
where wires could be hidden in ceiling? Is there a soffit above, and an
attic where wires could run?

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

No there is no basement. The way it is routed would be from the garage up
to the attic and across the attic in rigid metal conduits then down the
poured concrete wall and come out into the AC pad. I hate to chip out the
concrete wall without knowing where the line really is. It is 1972
construction so it's not doing things according to today's code. I think
the AC and pool filter / pump are the same line (I will check the breakers
tomorrow), if it is I guess at least I can dig one up and reroute the other
from there.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 7, 9:51 pm, wrote:
[...]

ALL underground conduits collect water and are required to have "wet
location" rated conductors. The conduit is really just there for
physical protection.

But, there's a difference between an intact conduit and an open
vertical end flush w/ a slab acting as a drain. I'm also wondering in
the case if they buried EMT outside in concrete (as it looks like this
was from the pictures), chances are the cable isn't what it should be
as well.

I still don't much care for the idea of leaving the existing conduit
on the slab level, even w/ the box sitting over it -- I'd go to the
trouble of repairing the conduit run one way or another despite the
extra effort. The idea of re-routing is a good one if feasible
although I guess OP has kinda' put the kibosh on it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 8, 10:43 am, wrote:
On 8 Apr 2007 06:26:22 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

... chances are the cable isn't what it should be ...

This can't legally be "cable" in the first place. ...

Yes. I just meant "cable" in the generic sense "electrical
conductors".

Looking at the picture OP posted was unable to tell what is actually
there so was simply raising the caution flag. If the original
installation used EMT outside through concrete as it appears I had/
have little confidence in anything else...