Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zenier Mark Zenier is offline

Default Help Identifying a Plug/socket

In article ,
Robert Inder wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

The socket is round, and roughly the size of a finger nail, with four
places-for-pins-to-go arranged in a "slightly tapered square" (i.e. the
plug will only go in one way round).

The plug itself looks a bit like a short, fat coax blug but with
(obviously) four pins!

I've found a photo of the driver at...

http://www.oldhifi.com/tannoymonitorgold.jpg

Looks like it might compatible with an Amphenol "Minature Plug",
Like the number "71-4S". This is a bakelite shell with pins molded
into it. Much cheaper versions existed.

Buzzwords: "Type 71" or "Type 91" plug. Also matching were the
"Type 78" sockets.

3/32 inch pins, according to some old catalogs I saved from my youth.

Mark Zenier