Posted to alt.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
Aly Aly is offline

Default Building a UV PCB exposure box?

"rickman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 6, 6:05 am, "Aly" wrote:
Hello,

Ideas please?

I guess this idea is also not in the spirit of DIY, but getting PCBs
made has gotten pretty inexpensive lately. I saw an ad the other day
for a double sided board with plated through holes for $26 even at qty
1 for a first time customer. Olimex in Europe has some very low rates
for small quantities, but I have not looked into them in detail.

Is this a cost thing or just a fun thing to make your own PCB lab?

UK prices are hideously expensive, like £200+ ($400) for 5 eurocards with a
2-week turnaround. Trouble with Olimex is that I'm not giving my credit
card number to anyone in Bulgaria nor using Western Union.

The problem with the UK is that it's just such total rip off. I was charged
£13 ($26) the other day for buying something in the States costing £22.
This country is just a dump.

Looking at UV tubes right now.. £10 for single 12" UV tube. £10!! That's
the cheapest round here where I can just walk in and buy. If I go to
B&Q/Homebase they're about £20 and in fancy packaging with party goers all
over them.

I dumped a load of laptop LCD screens at the rubbish tip the other day and
had some jobsworth telling me I'd put them in the wrong bin, "they're LCD
screens," I said pointing at the big plasma displays in there. He wanted me
to put them in the metal bin as they were computers. Erm, no, they're all
plastic you argumentative turd. "Do you want me to dump them in a lay by
perhaps?" That's what all the sane people are doing. Go for a walk in the
countryside, trip over a saucepan!

I HATE this bloody country. :-( Where I can't send my kids out to play
football without some council official bringing them home saying they don't
have insurance. Wot!! Insurance.

*rants*

:-) That was meant to be slightly humourous of course. But really, the UK
has just gone mad. You can't do anything if it isn't approved, stamped and
monitored.