Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default How do I fix a broken electrical conduit that is attached toa concrete slab?

dpb wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:37 pm, wrote:

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 01:05:24 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have two rigid metal electrical conduits that came off the concrete slab
along the exterior wall. One is next to the AC unit and one is next to the
swimming pool filter and pump. The one next to the pool filter is an often
wet area and the wires are exposed as seen he

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000932.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000933.jpg

The conduit next to the AC unit has not broken off yet but will be soon, it
is all corroded at the bottom:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000931.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000930.jpg

Any suggestion how to fix that? Do I need to chip out the slab and make a
hole to replace the conduit? or is there some sort of a mender to fix this
kind of situation.

Thanks in advance,

MC

You can probably just cut the wires 8" or so from the ground, set a
box tight against the slab and continue with a good conduit from there
with your splice in the box. As long as there is still a grounding
path you should be OK. If they did not pull a grounding conductor you
may be pulling the wires out adding a ground and pulling them back in.
That is usually easier than trying to sneak a wire in. Pull a string
in with the wires as you pull them out.

If do that need plastic box and seal and ensure have wet-rated cable.
I'd still prefer the more extensive route but could perhaps get this
to work ok. If not buried and wet cable, could, pull it for that
section. Key thing I'm thinking of is that the conduit rusted off at
the slab level is a water collector and even caulk doesn't hold
permanently w/o to prevent water collecting in the old conduit
eventually...

I'm thinking that this would be a good application for PVC, but it's a
little late now...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.