Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How do I fix a broken electrical conduit that is attached to a concrete slab?

On Apr 7, 10:12 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 7, 1:52 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"buffalobill" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 7, 1:05 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have two rigid metal electrical conduits that came off the concrete
slab
along the exterior wall. One is next to the AC unit and one is next
the
swimming pool filter and pump. The one next to the pool filter is an
often
wet area and the wires are exposed as seen he

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000932.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000933.jpg

The conduit next to the AC unit has not broken off yet but will be
soon,
it
is all corroded at the bottom:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000931.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000930.jpg

Any suggestion how to fix that? Do I need to chip out the slab and
make
hole to replace the conduit? or is there some sort of a mender to fix
this
kind of situation.

Thanks in advance,

MC

i think no electrical box is permitted at your point of damage, and
your pictures show there is extensive damage. your electrician will
evaluate the job and replace the full run from the nearby panel with
appropriate gfci as required in your local ordinance.
there may be hidden damage as well of wire corrosion that may reach
toward the panel requiring a new breaker.
he will determine the required limits for the path of the new conduit
based on your local code.

general info at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-.../preamble.html

Thanks. But the nearby panel is 75 feet away on the other side of this
concrete wall. Most of the runs are in rigid metal conduits either in
the
ceiling or inside walls, then it comes through the foundation out of the
slab to service the AC or the pool pump. So this is really at the very
end
of the run where this exposed portion is damaged. The wires themselves
seems fine, I don't think it is practically to run a new conduit from the
garage all the way to this same location. There has to be some sort of
repair kits?

No repair kit but I don't believe there's a problem with an exterior
weather-proof accessible box for the repair. (The key here is twofold
-- it's accessible, and it's not new but required repair work. I
can't quote chapter/verse but believe code makes allowance for such
circumstances.) But, it does need the conduit replaced from the point
of good material to the other end through the slab to wherever it goes
to make a good connection on an accessible location on the other side.

It looks like it would have been a lot easier to have done it when the
new plastic that shows in the picture wasn't there from an access
standpoint as you're going to have some good digging and hammering to
get access, but what's done is done. You may find renting a small
handheld jackhammer profitable depending on how much concrete is
actually there and how good it still is.

I seriously doubt the conduit was/is the ground, but it is possible.
Verify because you certainly don't have an effective ground if it was
supposed to have been and you won't when you replace this section with
platic which would be my suggestion to avoid the galvanic action of
metal conduit in contact w/ concrete and standing water after every
rain which is unavoidable given the geometry.

Good point with the ground I will double check. Not looking forward to
breaking the concrete pad up.

Now the portion that is corroded but not yet broken off... is there a way to
salvage that?

Can I spray something to slow the corrosion and wrap something around it?
Guess not, it might break just by me messing with it.

Not knowing what is on the other side, I can't be certain, but I think
the only correct repair is to replace the conduit from one accessible
location to another on the inside of the wall. Whether it would be
acceptable to simply add a section of conduit to or just below the
present slab surface depends on whether the cable is underground/wet
rated or not which is indeterminate from the pictures. Unless it is,
it needs to be in the conduit all the way.

I think the only recourse here is to break out enough of a hole to be
able to replace the section as needed. Once that's done, of course,
the other thing you might consider is to run a (say) 2" outer conduit
for the other to run inside and then re-pour around that leaving the
inner conduit not in contact w/ the concrete. You would then need a
weather seal on the outside to prevent rainwater, but if it's above
the slab it wouldn't need to hold against standing water.

They original installation should never have poured concrete directly
around what appears to be just EMT. And despite the other suggestion,
you don't want a repair of non-electrical-rated conduit and plastic
would be a far better choice.