Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How do I fix a broken electrical conduit that is attached to a concrete slab?

I will double check. It is hard to tell due to corrosion and being painted
over. There is nothing on the other side of the exterior wall, I may have
to open the drywall to see if there is anything on the inside that is
accessible. The exterior wall is poured concrete (not block) 8" thick and
these pipes runs inside, then shoots out and come up via the AC concrete
pad. I guess I can open a hole and get to the "bottom" of the pad and see
what is going on. This was original work since 1972.

It will be tricky with the pool pump area since the PVC pipes and returns
are right there. May be to cut the PVC pipes off just to get access.

Thanks,

MC

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I question the same thing. It looks like EMT to me. While EMT can be
installed in concrete, it generally cannot be used as an underground
conduit. If it is in wet ground under that slab, it may have all
disintegrated, and would need to be replaced. The most important thing
would be the system ground. Be sure that the conduits are not being used as
the grounding conductor, and if they are, pull new ground conductors
through them. Once your grounding is confirmed and adequate, you could
possibly sleeve a length of PVC over the metal conduit to protect what's
left of it

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 7, 1:05 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have two rigid metal electrical conduits that came off the concrete
slab
along the exterior wall. One is next to the AC unit and one is next
the
swimming pool filter and pump. The one next to the pool filter is an
often
wet area and the wires are exposed as seen he

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000932.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000933.jpg

The conduit next to the AC unit has not broken off yet but will be

soon,
it
is all corroded at the bottom:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000931.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000930.jpg

Any suggestion how to fix that? Do I need to chip out the slab and

make
hole to replace the conduit? or is there some sort of a mender to
fix
this
kind of situation.

Thanks in advance,

MC

i think no electrical box is permitted at your point of damage, and
your pictures show there is extensive damage. your electrician will
evaluate the job and replace the full run from the nearby panel with
appropriate gfci as required in your local ordinance.
there may be hidden damage as well of wire corrosion that may reach
toward the panel requiring a new breaker.
he will determine the required limits for the path of the new conduit
based on your local code.

general info at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-.../preamble.html

Thanks. But the nearby panel is 75 feet away on the other side of this
concrete wall. Most of the runs are in rigid metal conduits either in
the
ceiling or inside walls, then it comes through the foundation out of the
slab to service the AC or the pool pump. So this is really at the very

end
of the run where this exposed portion is damaged. The wires themselves
seems fine, I don't think it is practically to run a new conduit from
the
garage all the way to this same location. There has to be some sort of
repair kits?

MC

Is that rigid conduit or EMT? I don't think that I have ever seen rigid
corrode like that. Regardless, I am not aware of any quick fix repair
kit.
It is likely that water is inside the pipe and that the part under the
slab
is corroded as well. Is the conduit being used as a grounding conductor
or
is there a grounding conductor wire in the conduit? If the conduit is
the
grounding conductor, then it is probably not effective right now. I
suggest
that you cut back the conduit to where it is still good and install a
junction/pull box and run new conduit using PVC.