Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen Glen is offline

Default Woodworking Classes?

Lee Michaels wrote:
SNIP

I had a good high school shop experience. The teacher was a safety fanatic
and forced all of us to identify and know every part of each tool before we
could use them. We had to pass a written test for each tool. That kind of
stuff stays with you for a lifetime. He was a part of the the first special
forces in WW II.

SNIP

I require the same of every student in my classes. No student can use
any power machine until he/she can draw the tool from memory, label the
parts, and list the safety rules from the book. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I was called in by this new,young and inexperienced guidance counselor.
(I am in my 33rd year of teaching) She thought it was unfair that I
required this of the special ed kids in my classes. I told her I would
think about it. I returned to her office with a letter that I drafted
stating that since she knew more than I did on the subject that her
signature was proof that the student knew enough to use the tool safely,
and if there was an accident that she would assume all legal and
financial liability and that I would be held harmless (BTW, I knew that
this letter was meaningless in any legal way. As she read the letter
and I asked for her signature I saw her eyes get wide. I made my point,
and she got off my case.

Glen