Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default Filling 20 lb Propane tanks

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't
send me any freakin' spam wrote:

LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) is a mixture of propane and butane.

LPG is a generic term that covers a lot of chemistry.

When it's colder, it has more propane in it to keep it from liquifying.

Reads better the other way around. You *want* the liquid LPG to be a gas before
you burn it. So when it's colder it has more Propane it it to help it gassify.

So, when I go and fill my tank with gas for my BBQ, am I getting propane or LPG?

Wrong question. When you go to fill your BBQ tank, you might ask your supplier
what the LPG mix is. Is it pure Propane, pure Butane or a mix of the two? The
supplier will know what is being distributed in your area.