Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default Filling 20 lb Propane tanks

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't
send me any freakin' spam wrote:

Yeah, I gotta question that one also. Gasoline is a complex chemical with
lot of different things going into it's makeup. Propane is a simple
compound, C3H8, and only comes in two configurations, propane and cyclo
propane (which you won't find in any propane tanks). AFAIK they only thing
they add to it is the oderant that gives it the garlic stench (propane
itself is odorless and colorless, the smell you smell isn't the propane).
Summer/winter grade? I seriously doubt it.

Not all bottle gas is propane. Many areas use Butane or a Butane/Propane
mix.
Since Butane doesn't boil (gassify) below 28 degrees, colder areas that
use
Butane or a Butane mix would need to adjust the mix during the winter.

LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) is a mixture of propane and butane. When it's
colder, it has more propane in it to keep it from liquifying. So, when I go
and fill my tank with gas for my BBQ, am I getting propane or LPG?