Posted to alt.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
Aly Aly is offline

Default Building a UV PCB exposure box?

"John Larkin" wrote in message

SNIP

A light box is about the worst possible way to expose pcb's. To get
good resolution, you need sharp shadows hence collimated light. The
typical light box is a maze of position-dependent blurs. The light
source should be far away from the film and the board, not close.

Get a bright light with decent UV concentration. A 175 watt
warehouse-type mercury vapor lamp is ideal, and perfectly safe. Mount
it about 3 feet above a table and add a bit of foil on top if it
deosn't already have a reflector. Place the pcb, film, and a top piece
of glass or plexiglass, on the table. Try 10 minutes to start. This
will cast much sharper shadows than any light box can.

A tanning lamp isn't bad, and they're cheap.

The sun is pretty far away, too.

John

Hi John,

Noted. Tell you what I do have.. A full size sunbed in the bathroom, hold
on.. Eight 100W 6' tubes.

I've just been playing with the idea of fitting one of those small 25W 9"
U-shaped tubes in a 12"x10"x5" flight case, or an 22W 8" circular tube.

But with what you've said here it's made me wonder..

Thanks again (and to everyone)

Aly :-)