Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default Filling 20 lb Propane tanks

"DAC" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 5, 10:41 pm, wrote:
I have a 500 gal. propane tank in my yard for heating. I am changing
suppliers so the old company is going to come and get their rental
tank. The company I have been doing business with are real a$$holes,
so I want to make sure there is no gas left in the tank. The tank
contains about 5% and the heating season is almost ended. If there is
any gas left, I'd like to fill all of my 20lb cylinders and if needed,
I can borrow several 100lb ones from a neighbor. I can always use
these, and I want to make sure the bulk tank is empty, but dont want
to just waste it. I have the pipe adaptors for both tanks and a
certified for propane hose. Do I just connect from tank to tank, or
should I do it after the bulk tank regulator?

Yes, I know that the 20 Lb cylinders should not weight more than 20
lbs more than the empty tank, and I have something to get a rough
weight measurement on them. I'll underfill them just to be safe, and
they will remain outdoors after I do it. Of course all this will be
done outdoors too.

Has anyone ever done this? I've filled the refillable torch bottles
from 20lb cylinders in the past, so I dont see this all that much
different other than the amounts.

Call the new company, and have them pump the tank out, and when they
place the new one, have them credit you back the same amount. If you
can work it right, they could pump the gas out, remove the old tank,
place the new one, and fill the tank in one trip.

Have you contacted the other company to see if they would credit you
the amount in the tank?

As for moving the gas with 20# tanks...while it sounds
good...practically it isn't worth the effort.

Good luck.

I'm going to say ditto to this post.

The propane needs to be under huge pressure to stay in liquid form, once
you start to release that pressure from the big tank into the little one,
all you will be getting is the gas, not the liquid form.
so, like another mentioned, you would have to flip your big tank upside
down, or drain it from the bottom. Much better to just get the new
company to pump it out.

as for screwing your old company. If you do open the valve on the old tank
after it has been pumped empty, the old tank will need to be purged before
it can be used again, so. that would be one way of "stickin it to em"