Posted to alt.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
Leon Leon is offline

Default Building a UV PCB exposure box?

On 6 Apr, 11:05, "Aly" wrote:
Hello,

Ideas please?

A small professional UV box with two 8W tubes will cost about £100, and is,
professionally made and neat and tidy. I'm wondering if for sake of ease it
would be easier to just go out and buy one?

I've seen the UV "fly killer," tubes on eBay for say £10, which are
mentioned in a few of the tutorials online. Ballasts I have at home
somewhere. Would need a neat little case, cut glass, switches, bits bobs,
and time.

This is all purely for making the odd PCB so nothing commercial. There's
also those little UV nail boxes for curing the plastic, they're only about
£20 although I wonder about even coverage with those, and if indeed it is
the right type of UV?

Circular tubes? U-shaped tubes? Straight tubes? Little 9W dual parallel
tubes?

I'm just wondering in the end if it would be easier to just buy one,
although that's not really in keeping with the spirit of diy.

Many thanks for any input, I'm just looking for ideas and opinons really.
I'd also be half tempted to put in regular tubes too so that it can be used
as a light box.

Friendly regards,

Alison

ps. There's this one at Rapid for £110 in a little kit;

http://www.rapidonline.com/searchresults.aspx?style=0&kw=34-0690

I built one using two UV tubes in standard 12" fluorescent fittings,
with a box made from MDF and a sheet of glass. It cost me about 20
GBP.

Leon