Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default Woodworking Classes?

"RonB" wrote:

However, I did take a class in Intro Cabinetmaking at the local university
several years ago; and I consider it very benificial. The class was taught
by a very demanding instructor and they provided an excellent textbook. The
book is available today (30 years later) - "Cabinetmaking and Millwork -
Feirer". My book is technically dated with regard to equipment, adhesives,
etc. However, it is an excellent source of "how-to" that will never be
obsolete. My version is over 900 pages. I have seen it, and a teaching
guide, in Amazon during recent years. Expect to pay for it - it is a
textbook. However Amazon usually have previous versions or used books at a
good price.

Feirer was one of the first woodworking books I got as well, though
not for a class. I like it as a reference, and it is very thorough.
However, it is more about the manufacturing side of woodworking than
the craft side, so while the principles and resource info is valid,
much of it is not applicable to the hobbyist. I'd suggest Tage Frid
Teaches Woodworking from FWW as a better text for learning woodworking
as most hobbyists do it.