Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] nospambob@vcoms.net is offline

Default Woodworking Classes?

DAGS for the rec.woodworking FAQ. The URL used to be posted
periodically but I seem to recall just the mini version has been
posted recently. Might be helpful.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:10:55 -0400, Corner of My Mind
wrote:

alexy wrote:
Turning is a whole 'nuther
game. Many of us woodwork for years without ever turning

Yes, I realize that now after reading another post. My brain was
thinking "woodworking" and not "woodturning" when I read that course name.

Fundamentals of woodworking sounds like
a good into course, although heavily power tool oriented.

I didn't see a "Fundamentals of Woodworking" course in the ones offered
by the local store. That would be good class though.

Someone else mentioned hand tools. I agree with a caveat: if you don't
learn to sharpen them properly, and get some instruction on use, you
will probably frustrate yourself, and have a harder time creating okay
results than you can with power tools. However, if you learn to use
them well, you will be much better at reading wood, which will make
you a better power tool woodworker. IMHO, you will do your best work
eventually by using both power and hand tools effectively.

Thanks. I'm going to seriously look into this progression of learning.