Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Does as GFCI give you some surge protection?

w_tom wrote:

On Apr 4, 3:39 am, Bud-- wrote:

Both guides say plug-in suppressors are effective.

Where are your links that say plug-in suppressors are NOT
effective w_?

Links still not shown. Where are your links?

How to identify a real
world protector? 1) Product has the dedicated earthing wire for that
'less than 10 foot' connection. 2) Manufacturer discusses earthing.

Ho-hum - the religious belief in earthing. The IEEE guide explains
plug-in suppressors work by CLAMPING the voltage on all wires to the
common ground at the suppressors. They do not work primarily by earthing.

Bud who promotes for a 'mythical protector' manufacturer will not even
deny his own citations.

Ho-hum again. Repeating:
“And I can only quite w_ - ‘It is an old political trick. When facts
cannot be challenged technically, then attack the messenger.’ ”.

Bud has posted in hundreds of posts how
earthing is not required

Bullcrap. I recommend reading the IEEE guide which includes earthing as
one of the major protection methods. I *repeat* the explanation in the
IEEE guide – plug-in suppressors work primarily by clamping, not earthing.

how his 'magic box' protector will somehow
stop or absorb what three miles of sky could not.

How stupid. Both the IEEE and NIST guides say plug-in suppressors are
effective.

And so we go to his own citations where a plug-in protector puts
8000 volts through the adjacent TV.

Ho-hum #3 - already covered. The plug-in suppressor *reduced* the surge
voltage at another TV, but the IEEE says "to protect TV2, a second
multiport protector located at TV2 is required". Apparently too
technical for w_.

A solution even sold in Lowes and Home Depot for less than
$50.

In a thread a few days ago 2 people looked at online sites and found:
Lowes had NO ‘whole house’ suppressors.
Home Depot had no ‘whole house’ suppressors near $50. The 2 suppressors
available had no specs available from Home Depot or the manufacturer.

Both the IEEE and NIST say plug-in suppressors are effective.

And still missing - links that say plug-in suppressors are NOT
effective. Could it be nobody agrees with you w_? Where are your links?
And include a link for the $50 ‘whole house’ suppressor.

--
bud--