Posted to rec.woodworking
SWDeveloper SWDeveloper is offline

Default Woodworking Classes?

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:57:49 -0400, Corner of My Mind
wrote:

SWDeveloper wrote:
If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class

I agree with the table saw. I probably use it more than any other
power tool in the shop. But, you can do woodworking for a lifetime
and not use a table saw at all.

Interesting paradox. A tool that is used most often but is not needed.

Yes. Something like a SWMBO.
;-)

Quality hand tools are a good
investment as they can last a liftetime and many still prove useful
after you buy power tools.

The question is how does a newbie spot a quality tool if he doesn't know
what to look for? Is there a brand that is known to only product
quality tools? Just look for the most expensive of that tool available?

Brands are a good place to start. Where a tool is made says a lot
when comparing woodworking tools. For example, a pair of shoes made
in China is usually a good deal, but a tool made in China is
questionable. I bought a grinder stand in China, but quality in a
stand is usually not too important. There are tool reviews in
magazines you can use as a guideline. If you get the chance to use
tools of varying quality that will tell a lot. A cheap tool of low
quality will perhaps cost more in the long run because you will have
to replace it in the middle of a project--a very frustrating
experience. Be careful what you buy at Harbor Frieght. Soon after
woodworking for awhile you will soon realize the importance of
sharpening tools and the skill to do it.