Posted to uk.d-i-y
PC Paul PC Paul is offline

Default Is Araldite ok for metal?

Coyoteboy wrote:
PC Paul proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

The wear is an elliptical cone about 10x6mm with a 2mm hole in the
middle, on a rear stay of about 18mm diameter. Any guesses as to
whether JBWeld would patch it up firmly enough for mucking about use
(no World Cup Downhills planned...) or should I just scrap the frame?

A hole right through the stay tubing or just worn into it without
piercing? Which stay - seatstay or chainstay? Either way dont worry
yourself, just keep an eye one it - unless youre doing some
jumps/drops with it you'll notice a hairline fracture coming from it
before it fails completely - I have a fair amount of experience with
breaking bike frames

Right through on the seatstay (where the tyre goes past, curiously enough
;-), but with steep sides - only the bit around the 2mm hole in the very
centre is *thin*.

I'm not planning to do anything too major on it, but I hate having to walk
home...