Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default Woodworking Classes?

Corner of My Mind wrote:

SWDeveloper wrote:
If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class

I agree with the table saw. I probably use it more than any other
power tool in the shop. But, you can do woodworking for a lifetime
and not use a table saw at all.

Interesting paradox. A tool that is used most often but is not needed.

Yes, it does seem paradoxical, but my experience is the same as SWD's.
I'll explain it this way: For 80% of the wood cutting I do (excluding
hand-cut joinery), the table saw is the most convenient and does the
best job. So it gets used the most. For the occasional crosscut of
heavy/long/unwieldy boards, I will use the radial arm saw, but could
do it on a table saw with outrigger supports. For resawing (cutting a
board across its thickness dimension), I will use the bandsaw (the
only way for wider boards, and the best way for all). For ripping
thick or gnarly wood, for cuts in very small pieces of wood, or for
curved cuts, I will use the bandsaw (safest for problem rips and cuts
of small pieces). If I had to have only one stationary power saw, I'd
choose the bandsaw, but I'd have to plane all the rip cuts I did to
get as straight an edge as I would get off the table saw.

Quality hand tools are a good
investment as they can last a liftetime and many still prove useful
after you buy power tools.

The question is how does a newbie spot a quality tool if he doesn't know
what to look for?

That's where a class will help, as long as you keep in mind that a
class in a Woodcraft store might not recommend, e.g., tools you can
get off ebay g.

Is there a brand that is known to only product
quality tools?

Sure. It's hard to go wrong with Veritas (direct from Lee Valley, and
some lines, but not planes, distributed through other retail channels
such as Woodcraft) or Lie-Nielsen (direct or retailers such as
woodcraft). But in my opinion, they might be a little pricey--good
value and worth the price if you will be using them, but maybe too
much to spend before you see where your interests lie.

Just look for the most expensive of that tool available?

Of course, that works, but might not be the best approach.
It's hard to go wrong with a Holtey (or Sauer & Steiner, or Marcou, or
....), but I don't think I would be able to appreciate its value.
http://www.holteyplanes.com/

Of course, don't go purely by price, or you will find yourself getting
collectibles rather than users:
http://www.finetoolj.com/bas/home.html