Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

Default Woodworking Classes?

Community college or vocational school (e.g. BOCES) is one potential
source. Another source would be to seek out a non-profit community
theater group and sign yourself up as an apprentice carpenter. (Look for
a group that builds their own sets of course. And groups that don't pay
their members are going to be much more likely to take you in.) They
usually have a couple of members who are pros, or just plain
accomplished amateurs, who'll show you the ropes (literally!), and
especially how to cover up your mistakes. :- Just be prepared to do
other things in addition to building sets (e.g. like carrying costumes
and props, selling tickets, ushering). You'll learn basic skills and
maybe make some new friends. After that you can grow your woodworking
hobby in whatever direction you like.

If your dad, granddad or uncle didn't take you under his wing when you
were a kid then your chance at a one-on-one craftsmanship tutorial is
long gone, I'm afraid.

J.

Corner of My Mind wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup...been lurking for a week.

I live in Broward County, Florida, US and am interested in picking up
woodworking as a hobby and to do home improvements like built-ins or
trim work. The time I have available are night and weekends.

Last time I worked with wood was in high school (late 1980s) and I
remember I wasn't very good.

I'm trying to think of different options available for me to learn.
* Reading:
* This newgroup
* Searching google
* Books
* Hands-on:
* Community College Class? (I'll have to search and see if this is
available in my area)
* Volunteering for FREE with a local woodworking business. May not
make sense since they are probably on open the same hours I'm at work.
* Find a new friend? I don't know anyone in the area that does
woodworking. (I wonder if there are any clubs in the area that people
meet physically instead of online.)

I really believe I would learn best by seeing someone do something, with
me helping, and later doing it all by myself.

Any other ideas?

Who taught you? Your dad? friend? some other way?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.