Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking Classes?

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup...been lurking for a week.

I live in Broward County, Florida, US and am interested in picking up
woodworking as a hobby and to do home improvements like built-ins or
trim work. The time I have available are night and weekends.

Last time I worked with wood was in high school (late 1980s) and I
remember I wasn't very good.

I'm trying to think of different options available for me to learn.
* Reading:
* This newgroup
* Searching google
* Books
* Hands-on:
* Community College Class? (I'll have to search and see if this is
available in my area)
* Volunteering for FREE with a local woodworking business. May not
make sense since they are probably on open the same hours I'm at work.
* Find a new friend? I don't know anyone in the area that does
woodworking. (I wonder if there are any clubs in the area that people
meet physically instead of online.)

I really believe I would learn best by seeing someone do something, with
me helping, and later doing it all by myself.

Any other ideas?

Who taught you? Your dad? friend? some other way?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Posted to rec.woodworking

* Community College Class? (I'll have to search and see if this is
available in my area)

I have taken courses at area high schools. Look into local adult/continuing
ed.

* Volunteering for FREE with a local woodworking business. May not
make sense since they are probably on open the same hours I'm at work.

I can't see them letting you do anything but sand.

* Find a new friend? I don't know anyone in the area that does
woodworking. (I wonder if there are any clubs in the area that people
meet physically instead of online.)

Personally I like being alone when woodworking, but perhaps others don't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I too, took woodworking i High School. As I recall it was a class in
applied vandalism :^)

Since then, I have pretty much been on my own. I have learned a lot through
hands on experience, mistakes, reading and challenging myself.

However, I did take a class in Intro Cabinetmaking at the local university
several years ago; and I consider it very benificial. The class was taught
by a very demanding instructor and they provided an excellent textbook. The
book is available today (30 years later) - "Cabinetmaking and Millwork -
Feirer". My book is technically dated with regard to equipment, adhesives,
etc. However, it is an excellent source of "how-to" that will never be
obsolete. My version is over 900 pages. I have seen it, and a teaching
guide, in Amazon during recent years. Expect to pay for it - it is a
textbook. However Amazon usually have previous versions or used books at a
good price.

"Corner of My Mind" wrote in message
ervers.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:

| I live in Broward County, Florida, US and am interested in picking
| up woodworking as a hobby and to do home improvements like
| built-ins or trim work. The time I have available are night and
| weekends.
|
| Last time I worked with wood was in high school (late 1980s) and I
| remember I wasn't very good.
|
| I'm trying to think of different options available for me to learn.
| * Reading:
| * This newgroup

This is a good place to ask questions. Many of the people posting have
links to their web sites in their sigs, and you can find answers to
questions you'd never think to ask by browsing them.

Keep an eye on news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking to see what
people are working on (or have just finished working on).

There's a home repair newsgroup that might be helpful for some of what
you're interested in.

| * Searching google

STFW is always a good idea. Sometimes an image search turns up what
you might have difficulty finding with a site search.

| * Books

Of course. Browse your library as well as the web.

| * Hands-on:
| * Community College Class? (I'll have to search and see if this is
| available in my area)

Don't forget to check for high school adult ed programs.

| * Volunteering for FREE with a local woodworking business. May
| not make sense since they are probably on open the same hours I'm
| at work.

Somehow I suspect that you won't be received with much enthusiasm,
BICBW.

| * Find a new friend? I don't know anyone in the area
| that does woodworking. (I wonder if there are any clubs in the
| area that people meet physically instead of online.)

Unless you already have too many friends, this is a great idea. Keep
your ears peeled for the sound of woodworking equipment coming from
garages in your neighborhood on Saturday afternoons. Avoid wasting
peoples' time, but don't be bashful about asking if they'd be willing
to answer future questions.

| I really believe I would learn best by seeing someone do something,
| with me helping, and later doing it all by myself.

Ok - but don't be afraid to learn the safety rules for the tool
'something' takes and then giving it a try on your own.

| Any other ideas?

I found it helpful to learn to work with hand tools before I bought
the power tool to do the job faster. It wastes less wood and perepares
you to use the power tool more safely.

| Who taught you? Your dad? friend? some other way?

Mostly I learned by making mistakes - but that was before the advent
of usenet and on-line sharing of experience and advice. There's a lot
to be said for making mistakes and spending the time to figure out
/why/ it was a mistake. Just don't make mistakes that cause bodily
damage.

HTH

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:57:42 -0400, Corner of My Mind
wrote:

[...]

There are numerous books, although it's more difficult to grasp a
technique from words. There are a few woodworking shows on TV/Cable.
I've learned techniques even though I did not build the specific
project. Classes can be expensive but if you have the cash that will
work well. Our local Woodcraft has classes. I learned what I know
from my dad, TV, books, videos, craft fairs, etc. Woodworking is
mostly a solitary activity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check with the Woodcraft store in Pompano Beach, 1157
South Federal Highway. Their phone is 954.785.6321.
(www.woodcraft.com)

The Woodcraft stores have a pretty good lineup of
classes at reasonable prices. I've taken Woodcraft
classes in Orlando and Jacksonville.
(A Note of Caution: I'm finding there may be some truth
in the adage about old dogs and new tricks!)

The Woodcraft stores can also give you information on
local woodworking and woodturning clubs.

You might also check the Constantine's store in Ft.
Lauderdale for classes and clubs.

Good hunting and welcome aboard,

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida
--

"Corner of My Mind" wrote in
message
| Hi,
|
| I'm new to this newsgroup...been lurking for a week.
|
| I live in Broward County, Florida, US and am
interested in picking up
| woodworking as a hobby and to do home improvements
like built-ins or
| trim work. The time I have available are night and
weekends.

| Last time I worked with wood was in high school (late
1980s) and I
| remember I wasn't very good.
|
| I'm trying to think of different options available
for me to learn.
| * Reading:
| * This newgroup
| * Searching google
| * Books
| * Hands-on:
| * Community College Class? (I'll have to search and
see if this is
| available in my area)
| * Volunteering for FREE with a local woodworking
business. May not
| make sense since they are probably on open the same
hours I'm at work.
| * Find a new friend? I don't know anyone in the
area that does
| woodworking. (I wonder if there are any clubs in the
area that people
| meet physically instead of online.)
|
| I really believe I would learn best by seeing someone
do something, with
| me helping, and later doing it all by myself.
|
| Any other ideas?
|
| Who taught you? Your dad? friend? some other way?
|
| Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Flatley wrote:
The Woodcraft stores have a pretty good lineup of
classes at reasonable prices.

This seems like an excellent idea. Thanks.

They have 22 classes taught at the nearest location. Of those, I'm
guessing the following 3 would be most beneficial for a newbie like me:

* "Woodturning 101 & 201" - 2 Days (15 hours total - lunches?) for $250

* "Tablesaws from A to Z" - 1 Day for $75

* "Learning the Router" - 1 Day (5.5 hours - lunch?) for $75 + materials

So, for about $400 I can become a pro

You might also check the Constantine's store in Ft.
Lauderdale for classes and clubs.

I didn't find any classes listed on their website
(http://www.constantines.com/) but I'll drop by and get to know the
place as well as Woodcraft store

Good hunting and welcome aboard,

Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Many of the people posting have
links to their web sites in their sigs, and you can find answers to
questions you'd never think to ask by browsing them.

I'll spend some time navigating the links. Thanks.

Keep an eye on news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking to see what
people are working on (or have just finished working on).

ok.

There's a home repair newsgroup that might be helpful for some of what
you're interested in.

found it... alt.home.repair

Sometimes an image search turns up what
you might have difficulty finding with a site search.

"image search"... great idea.

Don't forget to check for high school adult ed programs.

That's interesting... I always assumed adult education was handled by
local community college. I guess high schools do that also.

I found it helpful to learn to work with hand tools before I bought
the power tool to do the job faster. It wastes less wood and perepares
you to use the power tool more safely.

That's interesting, I would have thought power tools used up less wood
because you could make more precise cuts.

Mostly I learned by making mistakes - but that was before the advent
of usenet and on-line sharing of experience and advice. There's a lot
to be said for making mistakes and spending the time to figure out
/why/ it was a mistake. Just don't make mistakes that cause bodily
damage.

That's probably my main concern right now... not cutting off a finger...
I kind of like having 10 of them. Wasting time and material isn't as
big of a concern but would also like to avoid.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
I too, took woodworking i High School. As I recall it was a class in
applied vandalism :^)

I don't remember any destruction in my class unless you count the
countless trees that died to make ugly looking benches, lopsided
baseball bats, and countless other atrocities.
Posted to rec.woodworking

SWDeveloper wrote:
There are numerous books, although it's more difficult to grasp a
technique from words.

Yes, I feel that way too. That is why I was more interested in hands-on
type learning.

There are a few woodworking shows on TV/Cable.

I think the only shows I get are the ones that air on HGTV. I only pay
for basic cable.

Classes can be expensive but if you have the cash that will
work well.

I'm hoping the initial upfront costs of buying tools and learning are
soon recovered (and then some) by savings between building things versus
buying them. Plus I'm hoping custom built built-ins look better than
store bought shelves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I have taken courses at area high schools. Look into local adult/continuing
ed.

Another person mentioning high schools. I really didn't even imagine
high schools would offer such courses. I always thought local community
colleges where the adult education venues.

* Volunteering for FREE with a local woodworking business. May not
make sense since they are probably on open the same hours I'm at work.

I can't see them letting you do anything but sand.

Yep...I can image that also. They probably don't want to waste time
training someone, watching them make mistakes that eat us resources, and
incurring liabilities when they get very little in return.

Personally I like being alone when woodworking, but perhaps others don't.

I can see why this is probably true for many. You probably want to
focus 100% on what you are doing without having someone else around
bumping into you, creating noise, and distracting your artistic endeavor.

But perhaps an older person that stopped doing woodwork because they
could no longer easily move large pieces of wood would welcome a helper
and in return teach the knowledge they have acquired through a lifetime?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Corner of My Mind" wrote
RonB wrote:
I too, took woodworking i High School. As I recall it was a class in
applied vandalism :^)

I don't remember any destruction in my class unless you count the
countless trees that died to make ugly looking benches, lopsided
baseball bats, and countless other atrocities.

I had a good high school shop experience. The teacher was a safety fanatic
and forced all of us to identify and know every part of each tool before we
could use them. We had to pass a written test for each tool. That kind of
stuff stays with you for a lifetime. He was a part of the the first special
forces in WW II.

We had a couple whackos in the class though. One guy decided to become an
expert in making wooden penises. They were incredibly lifelike too. By the
end of the year he could whip out two or three in one 50 minute class
period. They were unfinished though. The teacher inspected all finishes.

He actually snuck around and carried a project with him to quickly subsitute
if the teacher came near. He never got caught. He did develop excellent
bandsaw and sander technique.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:
I'm hoping the initial upfront costs of buying tools and learning are
soon recovered (and then some) by savings between building things versus
buying them.

I'm sure we've all used that rationalization. But don't kid yourself.
You will not know when to use cheap materials and when to use better,
so you will buy all good stuff and spend more on materials than a pro
will. Or you will cut corners when you shouldn't, then have to throw
away the bad materials and replace with good, spending more on
materials than a pro will. Or you will screw up something and end up
spending more on materials than a pro will.

DAMHIKT!!!

And often when making something, you will not be willing to accept the
compromises that you find perfectly acceptable when buying a finished
piece of furniture.

P.S. I still use that rationalization, but it is not myself that I am
trying to convinceg.

Plus I'm hoping custom built built-ins look better than
store bought shelves.

That, to me, is a better reason for doing the work, if you need one
other than enjoying it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:
John Flatley wrote:

The Woodcraft stores have a pretty good lineup of
classes at reasonable prices.

This seems like an excellent idea. Thanks.

They have 22 classes taught at the nearest location. Of those, I'm
guessing the following 3 would be most beneficial for a newbie like me:

* "Woodturning 101 & 201" - 2 Days (15 hours total - lunches?) for $250

* "Tablesaws from A to Z" - 1 Day for $75

* "Learning the Router" - 1 Day (5.5 hours - lunch?) for $75 + materials

So, for about $400 I can become a pro

You might also check the Constantine's store in Ft.
Lauderdale for classes and clubs.

I didn't find any classes listed on their website
(http://www.constantines.com/) but I'll drop by and get to know the
place as well as Woodcraft store

Good hunting and welcome aboard,

Thank you.

If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class

Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup...been lurking for a week.

I live in Broward County, Florida, US and am interested in picking up
woodworking as a hobby and to do home improvements like built-ins or
trim work. The time I have available are night and weekends.

Look and see if there's a Woodcraft store somewhere in the vicinity. I work
at one (on the other side of the country) and we have various classes every
weekend and on many weekdays and evenings.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

shawn wrote:

If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class

Oh, I don't know. Turning can keep some of us occupied for years and there's
a lot less tools required. One lathe, a half dozen gouges, scrapers, and
chisels, a grinder, and maybe a few sharpening jigs and the OP is in
business. Add a chuck and a couple of extra jaw sets after the initial
practicing. The whole thing could be done for around $1000, although I'd
spring for the new General mini-lathe with the swiveling head which would add
around $300 more.

And in many cases, practice wood is free.

Of course, there's a lot more turning stuff out there to spend money on if
you're a tool junkie - DAMHIKT :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:

They have 22 classes taught at the nearest location. Of those, I'm
guessing the following 3 would be most beneficial for a newbie like me:

* "Woodturning 101 & 201" - 2 Days (15 hours total - lunches?) for $250

* "Tablesaws from A to Z" - 1 Day for $75

* "Learning the Router" - 1 Day (5.5 hours - lunch?) for $75 + materials

Depends on the kind of work you want to do. Turning is a whole 'nuther
game. Many of us woodwork for years without ever turning--but I for
one occasionally get the itch. Fundamentals of woodworking sounds like
a good into course, although heavily power tool oriented.

Someone else mentioned hand tools. I agree with a caveat: if you don't
learn to sharpen them properly, and get some instruction on use, you
will probably frustrate yourself, and have a harder time creating okay
results than you can with power tools. However, if you learn to use
them well, you will be much better at reading wood, which will make
you a better power tool woodworker. IMHO, you will do your best work
eventually by using both power and hand tools effectively.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:
Toller wrote:
I have taken courses at area high schools. Look into local adult/continuing
ed.

Another person mentioning high schools. I really didn't even imagine
high schools would offer such courses. I always thought local community
colleges where the adult education venues.

In this area, the local community college offers night classes in various
locations, including several area high schools. The high schools themselves
don't offer anything to adults... and damned little to the kids, but that's
another story.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:
| Morris Dovey wrote:

|| I found it helpful to learn to work with hand tools before I bought
|| the power tool to do the job faster. It wastes less wood and
|| perepares you to use the power tool more safely.
|
| That's interesting, I would have thought power tools used up less
| wood because you could make more precise cuts.

That was my initial thought, too - so I started out with a RAS ("does
everything" g), a bandsaw, a shaper, and a drill press. What I
discovered was that 90% of the mistakes were complete before I
actually realized that I'd made a mistake, and that 90% of the time
the mistake called for a "board stretcher" or an "unsaw" for recovery.

When I backed up and forced myself to learn to use hand tools first, I
began paying attention to the grain and how different woods responded
to being cut. The most-used tool in my shop today is a CNC router -
but for those jobs in which I have any emotional investment, I still
pull out my chisel roll, a plane (or three), and a scraper to clean up
things my eyes can't see but my fingertips tell me aren't quite right
yet.

When I moved back from hand to power tools I discovered that I'd
developed a better sense of what would "work", higher standards and
expectations, and an inclination to consider what I'd experienced
using hand tools before I fired up the power tool.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

Community college or vocational school (e.g. BOCES) is one potential
source. Another source would be to seek out a non-profit community
theater group and sign yourself up as an apprentice carpenter. (Look for
a group that builds their own sets of course. And groups that don't pay
their members are going to be much more likely to take you in.) They
usually have a couple of members who are pros, or just plain
accomplished amateurs, who'll show you the ropes (literally!), and
especially how to cover up your mistakes. :- Just be prepared to do
other things in addition to building sets (e.g. like carrying costumes
and props, selling tickets, ushering). You'll learn basic skills and
maybe make some new friends. After that you can grow your woodworking
hobby in whatever direction you like.

If your dad, granddad or uncle didn't take you under his wing when you
were a kid then your chance at a one-on-one craftsmanship tutorial is
long gone, I'm afraid.

J.

Corner of My Mind wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:
[...]

I like most of those ideas, but the free
volunteering may not work out so well.
They're in the business to make money
and many won't want to stop to train
someone. You may luck out tho.

There's a local guy here who runs a
top-notch school. As it turns out, an
old friend of mine. I have been planning
on taking a class or two from him, and
would aim in that direction rather than
the community college/high school route.
He's more expensive than the community
college courses, but offers somethings
they can't afford to do and that is
bringing in professionals who have
specialized in one thing or the other.

He offers beginner's courses and from
what I've heard they are excellent. It's
something else that you can think about.
Most of the private schools run evening
courses, and I think they are good bang
for the buck.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Corner of My Mind wrote:
John Flatley wrote:
The Woodcraft stores have a pretty good lineup of
classes at reasonable prices.

This seems like an excellent idea. Thanks.

They have 22 classes taught at the nearest location. Of those, I'm
guessing the following 3 would be most beneficial for a newbie like me:

* "Woodturning 101 & 201" - 2 Days (15 hours total - lunches?) for $250

* "Tablesaws from A to Z" - 1 Day for $75

* "Learning the Router" - 1 Day (5.5 hours - lunch?) for $75 + materials

So, for about $400 I can become a pro

You might also check the Constantine's store in Ft.
Lauderdale for classes and clubs.

I didn't find any classes listed on their website
(http://www.constantines.com/) but I'll drop by and get to know the
place as well as Woodcraft store

Good hunting and welcome aboard,

Thank you.

Nose around a bit. I took the router class at the local Woodcraft and it
consisted of the 'instructor' (a term I don't normally abuse) running
(not walking) through a number of jig projects complete with photocopied
(with the publishers name obscured) excerpts from ShopNotes magazine.

I basically got nothing out of the class, which ended early. NO hands-on
time. ALL show & tell. Overpriced by about $70.00.

I was hoping to add to my knowledge, but I think I came out of there
knowing less than when I went in.

Rather than listen to that instructor again (he teaches about 1/2 of
their classes at present), I just buy tools and try to figure them out.
It's cheaper and safer that way.

I am not telling you not to take classes from there, but walk in with
your eyes wide open.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-3, 04/04/2007
Tested on: 4/5/2007 12:11:50 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

"shawn" wrote in message
Corner of My Mind wrote:
John Flatley wrote:

[...]

I've taken 2 classes at the Woodcraft store in Pompano - a one evening
turning class and one on sharpening your turning tools. The turning class
was with Dean and was very good - all hands-on and left with my first bowl
. The sharpening class was even better - they had to cancel but I never
got the message and drove 20 miles anyway, so Jay, the manager, took my in
back and showed me how, cranked up a lathe for me to test the newly
sharpened gouges on, and gave me some advice to correct my technique. I
plan on going back to take the "Woodturning 101 & 201" from Lee Sky soon -
he's very good.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
Look and see if there's a Woodcraft store somewhere in the vicinity. I work
at one (on the other side of the country) and we have various classes every
weekend and on many weekdays and evenings.

Yes... a previous posters advised that and I visited their website and
printed a class schedule.

Good to know that someone that works there also recommends it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
The teacher was a safety fanatic
and forced all of us to identify and know every part of each tool before we
could use them.

Sounds like a very good idea. I tend to read owners manuals from front
to back before using any new device.

He did develop excellent
bandsaw and sander technique.

That sanding skill may have also come in handy for him with the
non-wooden version of the appendage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Drew Lawson wrote:
Be sure to check the PBS listings. That's where I get my fix of
"New Yankee Workshop" and "Woodwright's Shop" (for opposite ends
of the power tool spectrum).

PBS... I keep forgetting that station exists. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:
Corner of My Mind wrote:
I'm hoping the initial upfront costs of buying tools and learning are
soon recovered (and then some) by savings between building things versus
buying them.

I'm sure we've all used that rationalization. But don't kid yourself.
You will not know when to use cheap materials and when to use better,
so you will buy all good stuff and spend more on materials than a pro
will. Or you will cut corners when you shouldn't, then have to throw
away the bad materials and replace with good, spending more on
materials than a pro will. Or you will screw up something and end up
spending more on materials than a pro will.

DAMHIKT!!!

And often when making something, you will not be willing to accept the
compromises that you find perfectly acceptable when buying a finished
piece of furniture.

I hadn't thought of those issues.

Plus I'm hoping custom built built-ins look better than
store bought shelves.

That, to me, is a better reason for doing the work, if you need one
other than enjoying it.

I am a computer nerd and enjoy tinkering alone so I do imagine I would
also enjoy woodworking also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

shawn wrote:
* "Woodturning 101 & 201" - 2 Days (15 hours total - lunches?) for $250

* "Tablesaws from A to Z" - 1 Day for $75

* "Learning the Router" - 1 Day (5.5 hours - lunch?) for $75 +
materials

If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class

Thanks for your recommendation. I really appreciate it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
shawn wrote:

If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class

Oh, I don't know. Turning can keep some of us occupied for years and there's
a lot less tools required.

Ok... now I need to confess my ignorance/newbieness.

When I initially saw the list of classes and read their description, I
was thinking "woodworking 101 & 201" and not "woodturning 101 & 201". I
did not realize my mistake until I read your post.

I think Table Saw and Router would be more beneficial for me if what I'm
initially interested in building are built-in bookcases, window seat,
and other items that have minimal rounded pieces.
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:
Turning is a whole 'nuther
game. Many of us woodwork for years without ever turning

Yes, I realize that now after reading another post. My brain was
thinking "woodworking" and not "woodturning" when I read that course name.

Fundamentals of woodworking sounds like
a good into course, although heavily power tool oriented.

I didn't see a "Fundamentals of Woodworking" course in the ones offered
by the local store. That would be good class though.

Someone else mentioned hand tools. I agree with a caveat: if you don't
learn to sharpen them properly, and get some instruction on use, you
will probably frustrate yourself, and have a harder time creating okay
results than you can with power tools. However, if you learn to use
them well, you will be much better at reading wood, which will make
you a better power tool woodworker. IMHO, you will do your best work
eventually by using both power and hand tools effectively.

Thanks. I'm going to seriously look into this progression of learning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
In this area, the local community college offers night classes in various
locations, including several area high schools. The high schools themselves
don't offer anything to adults... and damned little to the kids, but that's
another story.

I'll have to check locally to see if I'm lucky enough to be in a
district that does offer high school adult education as a choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
mistake called for a "board stretcher" or an "unsaw" for recovery.

How much do those specialized tools cost and what is a good brand to buy?

When I backed up and forced myself to learn to use hand tools first, I
began paying attention to the grain and how different woods responded
to being cut. The most-used tool in my shop today is a CNC router -
but for those jobs in which I have any emotional investment, I still
pull out my chisel roll, a plane (or three), and a scraper to clean up
things my eyes can't see but my fingertips tell me aren't quite right
yet.

When I moved back from hand to power tools I discovered that I'd
developed a better sense of what would "work", higher standards and
expectations, and an inclination to consider what I'd experienced
using hand tools before I fired up the power tool.

Another vote for hand tools. I'm noticing a pattern.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. wrote:
Another source would be to seek out a non-profit community
theater group and sign yourself up as an apprentice carpenter. (Look for
a group that builds their own sets of course. And groups that don't pay
their members are going to be much more likely to take you in.) They
usually have a couple of members who are pros, or just plain
accomplished amateurs, who'll show you the ropes (literally!), and
especially how to cover up your mistakes. :- Just be prepared to do
other things in addition to building sets (e.g. like carrying costumes
and props, selling tickets, ushering). You'll learn basic skills and
maybe make some new friends. After that you can grow your woodworking
hobby in whatever direction you like.

Great suggestion.

If your dad, granddad or uncle didn't take you under his wing when you
were a kid then your chance at a one-on-one craftsmanship tutorial is
long gone, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately my dad was not a "handy-man" type person and we lived
thousands of miles away from nearest relatives. My father worked
overseas when I was growing up and my family was in the US.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
There's a local guy here who runs a top-notch school. As it turns out,
an old friend of mine. I have been planning on taking a class or two
from him, and would aim in that direction rather than the community
college/high school route. He's more expensive than the community
college courses, but offers somethings they can't afford to do and that
is bringing in professionals who have specialized in one thing or the
other.

He offers beginner's courses and from what I've heard they are
excellent. It's something else that you can think about. Most of the
private schools run evening courses, and I think they are good bang for
the buck.

That true. Private colleges usually offer the same courses to
"non-enrolled?" students as long as they don't want credit towards a degree.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:
Nose around a bit. I took the router class at the local Woodcraft and it
consisted of the 'instructor' (a term I don't normally abuse) running
(not walking) through a number of jig projects complete with photocopied
(with the publishers name obscured) excerpts from ShopNotes magazine.

I basically got nothing out of the class, which ended early. NO hands-on
time. ALL show & tell. Overpriced by about $70.00.

I was hoping to add to my knowledge, but I think I came out of there
knowing less than when I went in.

Rather than listen to that instructor again (he teaches about 1/2 of
their classes at present), I just buy tools and try to figure them out.
It's cheaper and safer that way.

I am not telling you not to take classes from there, but walk in with
your eyes wide open.

Oh...NO!!! That is _NOT_ what I wanted to hear!!!

I was really leaning towards signing up and was actually going to drop
by after work today to sign up and take a look around the store.

I was expecting hands-on time as well as much more than show and tell.

Thank you for telling me this even though it just shattered my expectations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom S wrote:
If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class

I've taken 2 classes at the Woodcraft store in Pompano - a one evening
turning class and one on sharpening your turning tools. The turning class
was with Dean and was very good - all hands-on and left with my first bowl
. The sharpening class was even better - they had to cancel but I never
got the message and drove 20 miles anyway, so Jay, the manager, took my in
back and showed me how, cranked up a lathe for me to test the newly
sharpened gouges on, and gave me some advice to correct my technique. I
plan on going back to take the "Woodturning 101 & 201" from Lee Sky soon -
he's very good.

Well...this is a completely opposite experience than Bill experienced
when he took the router class. I wonder if the teaching technique is
different based on the class or based on the store/teacher. Since I
would be going to the pompano store also because it is the local one to
me, this makes me feel a little better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 9:57 am, Corner of My Mind wrote:
[...]

1. Go to the public library and read the woodworking books. All of
them. Read first to get you exposed to the tools and different
methods of doing things.
2. Best/only way to learn a hands on craft such as woodworking is to
do it. With some basic knowledge and ideas gained from reading the
books. Think of something you want to do, then read up on the
specific task you want to do.
3. Decide if you have the tools to do the job. Buy, borrow the right
tools to do the job. Or figure out an alternative way to do the job
with the tools you have. May have to reread up on the topic.
4. Do the job. Only way to learn a craft such as woodworking is by
doing.

I've taken several classes. A few hands on where I used the tools and
a few where I sat in the audience and watched a slide show or the
woodworker do the task in front of the group. Hands on were the
best. But even then you have to immediately follow up at home with
the same task to really learn the task or you forget it too quickly
after the teacher shows you how. Watching others do it is enjoyable,
but without hands on experience or an immediate job to apply the
technique to, there really isn't any learning.

Learn woodworking by doing. After you learn some stuff on your own
then maybe take a hands on class for something specific. Maybe
reinforce what you learned on your own or to correct something you are
not doing right now. But the class will really just build on what you
already know. It won't get you started.

Woodworking Classes - Pleasant Hill, CA Jeff Woodworking 0 September 3rd 06 03:04 PM
Woodworking Classes in Philadelphia/New Jersey Area ? Philly Woodworking 3 February 20th 06 05:19 PM
Woodworking Classes? Mich Woodworking 2 July 30th 05 05:44 PM
Woodworking Classes - PDX? Steve Dunbar Woodworking 10 January 23rd 05 04:56 PM
one-on-one or two woodworking classes Mike at American Sycamore Woodworking 12 October 27th 04 12:13 AM