Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.modifications,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
PC Paul PC Paul is offline

Default Is Araldite ok for metal?

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 1 Apr, 18:35, Alex Coleman wrote:
On my rather old tube of 'regular' Araldite it says it is ok for
metal.

It's no worse than on anything else.

Araldite is nearly always a poor choice (Araldite Rapid even more so),
except for its easy availability and the convenient tubes. Most
uk.d-i- y readers would do well to spring the ten-fifteen quid for a
West Systems small pack and some suitable filler (cellulose fluff
isn't a bad start, or else microballoons) (all from Axminster). A
real low- viscosity high-quality epoxy is streets ahead of
ready-filled tube epoxies. You can fill it to suit, as necessary.

JB Weld is a steel-powder filled tube epoxy. Much the same applies as
for Araldite vs. West System.

Compared to Araldite though, JB Weld is rather more useful for "heavy"
uses. The numerical strength might not look much better on paper, but
things like creep under load are improved by the filler.

I've got an aluminium bike frame with a small hole worn in it, when it was
ridden with a tyre rubbing the frame.. (damn kids).

The wear is an elliptical cone about 10x6mm with a 2mm hole in the middle,
on a rear stay of about 18mm diameter. Any guesses as to whether JBWeld
would patch it up firmly enough for mucking about use (no World Cup
Downhills planned...) or should I just scrap the frame?