Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default a different? water heater problem?

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:42:00 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

A 2-wheel dolly/handtruck makes carrying loads up
the stairs easier.

Duh. (Slaps foreheat) Better answer about this to folow later.

-------
Back to the spraying.
If the valve itself is plastic body, the body may have
fractured. This was very common some years back.
In that event, there is nothing wrong with the tank.

To replace the valve may involve sawing *lengthwise*
thru the valve and then chopping out or (maybe)
unscrewing it.

Jim

Jim's right, it will depend upon your area. But I second his idea of
checking the drain valve for a cracked body. Replacing the drain
valve will be a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the whole
tank. It should take less than an hour to be sure before you commit

Oh, gosh yes, it sounds much easier. If it works, I'll be very
grateful to both of you.

I've got the cold water on again, and I'll be taking sponge baths from
the stove or microwave, or going to someone else's to clean up for a
few days, but I'll get back with a followup.

to a new tank. Just turn off the water to the tank, and drain it
out. Then see if you can unscrew the valve body off and inspect it.
Replace it with a nipple, ball valve, hose bib combination if it
appears to be the culprit.
--
Grandpa