Posted to misc.consumers.house
Andrew Duane Andrew Duane is offline

Default 2nd floor weight limit?

Code is typically a load of 100 or 200 pounds per square foot (100 psf
of "live load", i.e. things you put in the room). This is way under
that, even with a 250 pound person on it. If you think about it, it's
like having a person and a couch in a room. A room that collapsed with
that load would be .... well, OK, it would be humorous, but it would
also be a lawsuit.

On Mar 26, 10:00 am, The Other Mike wrote:
We have a fairly new house...about 3 years old. I'm looking at
purchasing some exercise equipment, in particular a smith machine that
weighs around 300lbs before adding the weights. It's a pretty large
unit that's approx. 6' wide and 6' deep so the weight is distributed
fairly evenly. Is it too much weight to put this on the 2nd floor in
a room above my garage?