Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default 2nd floor weight limit?

We have a fairly new house...about 3 years old. I'm looking at
purchasing some exercise equipment, in particular a smith machine that
weighs around 300lbs before adding the weights. It's a pretty large
unit that's approx. 6' wide and 6' deep so the weight is distributed
fairly evenly. Is it too much weight to put this on the 2nd floor in
a room above my garage?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

The Other Mike writes:

We have a fairly new house...about 3 years old. I'm looking at
purchasing some exercise equipment, in particular a smith machine that
weighs around 300lbs before adding the weights. It's a pretty large
unit that's approx. 6' wide and 6' deep so the weight is distributed
fairly evenly. Is it too much weight to put this on the 2nd floor in
a room above my garage?

For reassurance, you can always call your local municipality where
building permits are issued and ask them the minimum load limits to
which a 3 year old house should adhere. You'll probably find them way
higher than the load yer pondering.

In a low tech way, handwaving way that shouldn't be trusted though,
I'd be shocked if your home couldn't withstand a couple of 300lb NFL
linemen hugging each other on your 2nd floor. That'd be more load per
square inch than what yer proposing.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Code is typically a load of 100 or 200 pounds per square foot (100 psf
of "live load", i.e. things you put in the room). This is way under
that, even with a 250 pound person on it. If you think about it, it's
like having a person and a couch in a room. A room that collapsed with
that load would be .... well, OK, it would be humorous, but it would
also be a lawsuit.

On Mar 26, 10:00 am, The Other Mike wrote:
We have a fairly new house...about 3 years old. I'm looking at
purchasing some exercise equipment, in particular a smith machine that
weighs around 300lbs before adding the weights. It's a pretty large
unit that's approx. 6' wide and 6' deep so the weight is distributed
fairly evenly. Is it too much weight to put this on the 2nd floor in
a room above my garage?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On 2 Apr 2007 09:48:44 -0700, someone wrote:

Code is typically a load of 100 or 200 pounds per square foot (100 psf
of "live load", i.e. things you put in the room).

NO ****ING WAY!!!!

Not for residential. That is like commercial or "place of public
assembly" Like the exit ramp of the stadium where it will be wall to
wall people.

Residential live load is more like 40 lbs per square foot. Which for
a 36 sf area (6 x 6) would be 1,440 lbs.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Apr 25, 3:20 pm, (v) wrote:
On 2 Apr 2007 09:48:44 -0700, someone wrote:

Code is typically a load of 100 or 200 pounds per square foot (100 psf
of "live load", i.e. things you put in the room).

NO ****ING WAY!!!!

Not for residential. That is like commercial or "place of public
assembly" Like the exit ramp of the stadium where it will be wall to
wall people.

Residential live load is more like 40 lbs per square foot. Which for
a 36 sf area (6 x 6) would be 1,440 lbs.

You mean I can't put 20,000 lbs in a 10 X 10 room? Where' my
garbage truck gonna go? LOL