Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default a different? water heater problem?

Speedy Jim wrote:
mm wrote:

Water heater failed. The last time I replaced it myself, but I had a
tremendous problem getting the old one out of the basement.
[...]
Today I found the water spraying out** from behind the plastic
escutcheon around the drain valve on my Sears electric water heater.

**in many, but not all directions. Maybe 180 degrees of the circle
had water spraying from it.

Out of curiosity, do you think this is this an unusual problem, or
just a variation on the usual leaking wh?

BTW, the plastic pan I put under the heater helped a lot. But because
it was spraying and not dribbling or coming out of the T&P valve and
down the tube, it certainly didn't catch everything. Last time my wh
dribbled when it leaked.

You have to negotiate with the installer (whoever)
over taking out the old tank. And whether they dump it
at your curb or actually take it away.

In some cities, a heater on the curb will trigger an
inspection. (!)

A 2-wheel dolly/handtruck makes carrying loads up
the stairs easier.

-------
Back to the spraying.
If the valve itself is plastic body, the body may have
fractured. This was very common some years back.
In that event, there is nothing wrong with the tank.

To replace the valve may involve sawing *lengthwise*
thru the valve and then chopping out or (maybe)
unscrewing it.

Jim

Jim's right, it will depend upon your area. But I second his idea of
checking the drain valve for a cracked body. Replacing the drain
valve will be a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the whole
tank. It should take less than an hour to be sure before you commit
to a new tank. Just turn off the water to the tank, and drain it
out. Then see if you can unscrew the valve body off and inspect it.
Replace it with a nipple, ball valve, hose bib combination if it
appears to be the culprit.
--
Grandpa