Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.modifications,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Is Araldite ok for metal?

Duncan Wood wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:42:23 +0100, Alex Coleman wrote:

On 01 Apr 2007, OG wrote:

"Derek Geldard" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:35:22 +0100, Alex Coleman
wrote:

On my rather old tube of 'regular' Araldite it says it is ok for
metal.

It is OK for metal.

If this is so then why would I ever use one of those 2-part
adhesives sold specially for metal? I mean the sort of thing that
is usually coloured grey and can often be bought in car accessory
shops?

Sundry other reasons. If it's what I'm thinking about they contain
a lot of inert filler, it helps filling holes and gaps. The grey
colour is to convince the proles they can fix holes in grey metal
with it.

I need to glue an aluminium ring (about 1.5 inches diameter and
about 4mm thick) to a plastic base. There will be some light to
moderate stressing of this arrangement when it is in use.

I figured the Araldite was just fine for the plastic but what
about the metal?

It's fine on aluminium per-se.

Less so on plastic, and it depends which plastic.

Set araldite is brittle, if the whole assembly will deflect under
load the joint may break up.

I use a little less hardener if I think a bit of 'give' is needed.

Doesn't using less hardener with Araldite slow down the rate of
curing rather than give an incomplete (and therefore more flexible)
cure?

Yes.

No.