Richard Coke

Default Fingertip or foot pedal tig?

From: Ken Cutt

How much bulk and weight does water cooling add to the torch and hose ?

A water cooled torch is smaller than an equivalent gas cooled one. I have one
water cooled torch from CNI that I really like that is very compact. The
hoses are about the same. The power conductor is smaller because it is cooled
by the water flow out of the head but you have additional lines for the water
and gas supply. The gas hose is less than 1/4" OD the water supply and power
lead/water return are slightly over 1/4" OD for a 200 A torch. I use a heat
resistant sleeve over mine because I have paid the price for not using one. In
terms of overall bulk and stiffness in the hose set it's about the same as for
a gas cooled cable but the torch is much more comfortable to use. When I had a
shop in Brooklyn the welders had cooling units on them that ran when the welder
was on but now I just have a home shop with one welder and I use house water
run through the solenoid valve and the drain waters my garden or trees The
flow rate is around a pint per minute IIRC. In my opinion water cooled is the
only way to go unless you just absolutely can't get water to the welder.

Richard Coke