Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Gas oven jamming garage door opener remotes???

there goes the neighbor hood! ;-))

ragged band allocation sure does offer plenty of jobs and equipment
opportunities, eh!

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message
Joy;
I am not familiar with your oven, so can only speak generally. I am also
guessing you are in the US.

A lot of new appliances have electronic controls which contain a
computer processor (CPU) and a display. Additionally something like a
gas oven might contain an igniter. Those types of circuits can emit
radio frequency energy. Since your oven does this when its not being
used, I would suspect that the igniter is not the problem, but more
likely the CPU or display, or a perhaps it's power supply. A CPU has an
oscillator clock which can run in the many megahertz. The display is
also clocked and can radiate signals. I would guess that the proximity
of the oven to your garage receiver is very close as in many homes the

are.

First;
If your garage door installer can install the receiver on a distant part
of the house, yet still visible to the driveway, it may work.

Secondly; There are some avenues to consider which would start with
lodging a formal complaint with the oven manufacturer and copying to the
Federal Communications Commission OET Bureau. It is possible that the
oven is generating excessive radio frequency interference (RFI), and the
manufacturer should be interested in resolving this as they must comply
to FCC rules (CFR47 Part 15). Those rules do permit some unintentional
radiation, but since it appears that the level of interference is higher
than permitted for an "intentional radiator" (Your garage door
transmitter), it is possible the oven is operating outside FCC
permissable specifications. Unfortunately, my experience with appliance
manufacturers is that they hide behind a cloak of service subcontractors
and once the product is out the door, getting the manufacturer to
respond is nearly imposssible.

Third, the garage door opener normally operates in a frequency band
which is also used for militrary and airforce communications, so the FCC
should be concerned about a consumer product radiating a strong signal
in that band. If they are doing their job, the FCC would at a minimum
research the certifications for the oven to see if the manufacturer did
the required testing. You would be surprised how many don't.

Finally; A more practical solution would be to find out if the garage
door opener is available with a remote system operating in a different
frequency band. It was recently necessary to modify many garage door
openers because military bases nearby were installing new radio systems
which created constant interference to garage door openers.

Joy wrote:

Has anyone ever hear of something like this? Does it sound like
defective oven? How to fix???

My neighbor just had a set of new garage door openers installed. The
remotes didn't work. Installer couldn't figure it out. Gave up and
removed openers.

Second guy with different openers had same problem but finally traced
it to the Kitchen Aid Superba gas oven (NOT microwave) since
everything works fine once the oven is unplugged. I THINK the oven
is on a different circuit than the openers. It seems to be putting
out some frequency that is jamming the remotes. The oven does not
have to be on to jam, just plugged it. Installer says he's never seen
a problem like it.

What could cause an oven to do this???

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joy