Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.modifications,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Brian Brian is offline

Default Is Araldite ok for metal?

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , Alex Coleman
writes
On my rather old tube of 'regular' Araldite it says it is ok for metal.

If this is so then why would I ever use one of those 2-part adhesives
sold specially for metal? I mean the sort of thing that is usually
coloured grey and can often be bought in car accessory shops?

I need to glue an aluminium ring (about 1.5 inches diameter and about
4mm thick) to a plastic base. There will be some light to moderate
stressing of this arrangement when it is in use.

I figured the Araldite was just fine for the plastic but what about the
metal?

Don't forget to roughen up the surface and apply the araldite before it
gets a chance to start oxidizing to any extent

Suitable? Probably, suck it and see

--
geoff

I would do the same to the plastic too. Many types of epoxy resin (Araldite
is just a trade name) do not adhere at all well to many plastics. Roughen
the surface to help it key.