Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Who has a security system and dialup?

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:30:38 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

The more PC's you have plugged into the phone, the slower the speed ;
I imagine it's the same for anything that doesn't have a mechanical
switch to disconnect the line when it's not in use.

If you have an outdoor customer jack (that some phone companies put
out there so you can diagnose whether your phone troubles are indoor,
and your responsibility, or outdoor, and their responsibility), plug
the PC into that directly and see what speed you get.

Thanks to all the informative replies. My sister would rather just
deal with slow dial up than have me disable or tamper with the
security system. The reason I asked was just to find out if the
security system was a common reason for the dial up to be slow.

Plugging the PC directly to the box would be a very quick way to find
out.

Thanks