Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Brodbeck David Brodbeck is offline

Default tool for stripping wires without cutting them?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I ended up getting this one from Radio Shack:
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/produ...160702w345.jpg
For $12.99. It was a piece of junk, it felt like it was going to fall
apart. I didn't even test it out, I just took it back.

I have one of similar design - not of course from Radio Shack - and it
cost a deal more than the one they show. It's the best wire stripper I
have and I have many. It's also had a lot of use and still works properly
on the original jaws which are available as spares.

When made correctly that type of tool can work very well. I have one
made specifically for RG-59U coax that I use when installing security
cameras. It's very quick and reliable. But it's a fairly heavy-duty,
well-made item, which means it probably didn't come from Radio Shack.