Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default does cocobolo change color?

On Mar 30, 6:20 am, jeremy wrote:
Toller wrote:
I bought a pallet of cocobolo scraps. Some of it looks just like rosewood,
but most of it is rather orange. I thought it was just normal variation
until I found a piece that was orange on one side and brown on the other.
I have some kingwood that was purple to start with, but browned up some
after I used it; presumably the cocobolo is doing the same?

I got about 150 pounds for $50. About a quarter went to firewood
immediately and the rest will probably be reduced by half when I trim it to
useable pieces, but still gives me a huge amount of wood for little
projects. Now I just need some little projects.

Cocobolo is a rosewood, but if you got 150 lb. for $50 I have to wonder if
what you have is really Dalbergia retusa. A quick test is to take a piece and
throw it in water, if it sinks it may be cocobolo.

If it passes the witch dunking test, polish a sample up to 600 grit.
If it looks like it was rubbed with 20 coats of Watco, it's probably
coke.