Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default does cocobolo change color?

"jeremy" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
I bought a pallet of cocobolo scraps. Some of it looks just like
rosewood, but most of it is rather orange. I thought it was just normal
variation until I found a piece that was orange on one side and brown on
the other.
I have some kingwood that was purple to start with, but browned up some
after I used it; presumably the cocobolo is doing the same?

I got about 150 pounds for $50. About a quarter went to firewood
immediately and the rest will probably be reduced by half when I trim it
to useable pieces, but still gives me a huge amount of wood for little
projects. Now I just need some little projects.

Cocobolo is a rosewood, but if you got 150 lb. for $50 I have to wonder if
what you have is really Dalbergia retusa. A quick test is to take a piece
and throw it in water, if it sinks it may be cocobolo.

It does sink, but gently.