Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default does cocobolo change color?

"Toller" wrote in message
I bought a pallet of cocobolo scraps. Some of it looks just like rosewood,
but most of it is rather orange. I thought it was just normal variation
until I found a piece that was orange on one side and brown on the other.
I have some kingwood that was purple to start with, but browned up some
after I used it; presumably the cocobolo is doing the same?

When fresh, some of it does have an orangy color. Some of it has a deep
purple color. Much of it has very light to white sap wood. Typically the
wood is darker burgandy ro dark red with dark grain.
Over time Cocobolo will darken like many woods.
I made a coffee table some 25 years ago with Cocobolo on the top, Padauk fo
for the legs and skirt and Walnut for accent.
I'll post a picture on a.b.p.w.

I got about 150 pounds for $50. About a quarter went to firewood
immediately and the rest will probably be reduced by half when I trim it
to useable pieces, but still gives me a huge amount of wood for little
projects. Now I just need some little projects.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal either way. In Houston the stuff in
very random S2S sizes usually goes for more than $10 per BF.
The dust is an irritant, makes my sinuses run lake a river during direct
exposure but for me a wipe down with a damp cloth immediately cures the
problem.