Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Joshin Just Joshin is offline

Default Does as GFCI give you some surge protection?

On 27 Mar 2007 04:19:40 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

GFCI's have some surge protection built in to protect them from surges
in house wiring. Does this same surge protection extend a bit to
protect what is pluged into a GFCI? I guess this may be a dumb
question in that I know that there are surge supression receptacles
out there, but those ones cost about 2.5 times a GFCI receptacle. Can
I get a "cheap" surge supressor in installing a GFCI?

Best, mMike.

imho:

I had a few computers die on me, they were old, but taught me a
lession. I had to tackle my voltage spikes a few ways.

1. Surge surpressor in the panel. Medium cost.
2. Ensuring proper panel grounding. Few bucks.
3. Point of use surge surpressors. low cost.

With all three, I've not had a killed another computer or electronic
applicance. So, what can you get from my experience? Tackle each
problem head on, don't be cheap and try and get a secondary benifit
from another safty device. Good luck.

tom @
www.MeetANewFriend.com