Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture
Matt Whiting Matt Whiting is offline

Default Stamping Other's Work

Bob Morrison wrote:
In a previous post Matt Whiting wrote...
I wouldn't seal someone else's work either as most states require that
the work be completed by you or under your direct control. However, it
seems to me that if someone had a design that was completed by an
engineer who is no longer available (let's say deceased) and needed the
design sealed in order to construct it, it would be legitimate to
analyze the design and perform the critical calculations to ensure the
integrity of the design and then seal it. It sounds like you wouldn't
consider this legitimate. Am I understanding you correctly?

Ah! The deceased engineer (DE) scenario! This presents a special case. I
assume you mean the scenario where the DE dies and his seal has expired.
If he dies before his seal has expired then the calcs should be able to be
used "AS IS".

I think I would have a conversation with the State Licensing Board BEFORE
I went very far with this. Just to see what they might allow and how
tightly they would look at the

Yes, I agree it would be wise to check. I'm just trying to explore what
other engineers consider to be reasonable interpretations of the
"perform or direct" language in the laws.

Matt