Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G Brian G is offline

Default front door threshold

Arthur wrote:
Hi all.
I'm planning to replace the entire door frame/side light
timbers in not too distant future. The frame that is
in place now is probably the same one installed when the house
was built about a hundred yeasrs ago, although the door was
new circa 15 years or more ago.
So if I'm going to replace the frame I should also replace the
threshold timber.
So 2 questions:

Is it a simple job the remove and replace the threshold?

If you are renewing the 'entire' doorframe, then if there is a wooden sill
(threshold) at the bottom, running the width of the frame, then this will be
fitted to the bottom of the frame during the manufacturing process using
motice and tenon joints.

And what kind of joint is it that locks the frame verticals to the
threshold?

The stiles (verticals) will be fixed to the head and sill using simple
'through' haunched mortice and tenons (the haunch can be deleted on an inner
stile) using water resistant glue and either wooden wedges into the tenons
or 'star' nails hammered through the head and sill penetrating the sides of
the tenons.

Please be aware that if you are inexperienced at this sort of joinery, that
various rebates are needed and 'drips' inserted to prevent 'water tracking'
into the property - and I would advise that you firstly read a good joinery
book (from the library) and then have a word with a timber merchant so that
he can point you in the right direction as to the type of door framing to
use.

Brian G