Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] craigatuga@gmail.com is offline

Default Adding electrical service to basement

On Mar 28, 12:00 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"w_tom" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 27, 9:03 pm, wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Sovereig...se-Conditioner...
That is the AC unit I hope will keep things cool. The main room is
35'x17', and that unit draws about 9A. When I finish the rest of the
basementI intend to go with central heat/AC. There will be other
people in the house, and they could very well be cooking/cleaning/
doing laundry.

100 amps of computers is about 40,000 BTU of heat. How does a 9000
BTU air conditioner remove 40,000 BTU of computer heat, plus 30
people, plus the normal room cooling? Size of the room is completely
irrelevant to the calculations. But then if you room is generating
heat from 100 amps and removed by an air conditioner of only 9 amps,
well, even those numbers are impossible.

Yeah, more like he'll need to run an industrial sized AC unit - like the one
in the data centers I design for labs at work. Heat dissipation can be a
real problem for computers and humans - not to mention high performance
computers prefer to be kept cool to cold - much colder than humans enjoy.

Another consideration - does his fire code allow 30 people occupancy in a
residential facility?

The basement LAN parties I've been to (largest was about 40 people)
did get warm (but it was in the fall, so windows and fans helped).
And one of the basement LAN parties I regularly attend only happens
Fall, Winter , Spring because of the thermal issues. I may go with a
20,000BTU window unit if the heat problem is real bad. I'll probably
start with 8-10 people and add from there.

Not sure about occupancy limits. The code where I live is very loose,
and more zoning oriented (one meter per house, but what happens inside
the house not checked much if at all (rural county). The do have a
county inspector(s), but my previous neighbor was a retired
electrician and he said he's not sure why the have 'em cause you could
train a monkey to check what they do (they miss, or don't check a
bunch of stuff).