Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default Adding 14awg wire to 20A circuit

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I don't believe there is anything in the code to prevent you from changing
the breaker to protect the smallest conductor, but IMO, despite labels and
tags, it would seem to me all to easy for someone down the line to
inadvertently put a 12 gauge conductor back on a 20 amp breaker, not
knowing what you've done.
I would change the cable to the light.

Agreed.

"Em" wrote in message
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my
error and put in the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks