Posted to alt.home.repair
Em Em is offline

Default Adding 14awg wire to 20A circuit

I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't realize
I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't overload even
a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my error and put in
the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Em" was just pondering this little gem:
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my
error and put in the larger cable,

YES!

and b) why is that?

So you can sleep at night?

Thanks

Your welcome.
;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

It may be a lot easier to put a 15 a breaker on that circuit. If 15 will
carry the other things on that circuit, then you are done.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"Em" wrote in message
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my
error and put in the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Em" wrote in message
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my
error and put in the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

So, when one of the wirenuts starts getting loose and causes an 19A circuit,
you feel safe knowing that the 20A breaker won't trip, but the 14awg wiring
isn't rating for 19A?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Em wrote:
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to
fix my error and put in the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

While replacing the cable would be good, it might be better to just swap
out the breaker.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I don't believe there is anything in the code to prevent you from changing
the breaker to protect the smallest conductor, but IMO, despite labels and
tags, it would seem to me all to easy for someone down the line to
inadvertently put a 12 gauge conductor back on a 20 amp breaker, not knowing
what you've done.
I would change the cable to the light.

"Em" wrote in message
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my
error and put in the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
I don't believe there is anything in the code to prevent you from
changing the breaker to protect the smallest conductor, but IMO,
despite labels and tags, it would seem to me all to easy for someone
down the line to inadvertently put a 12 gauge conductor back on a 20
amp breaker, not knowing what you've done.
I would change the cable to the light.

That is a good catch and I agree. The better way is to change out the
cable. If it is not specifically in the code, it certainly is in the spirit
of the code.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jackson wrote:
"Em" was just pondering this little gem:
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to
fix my error and put in the larger cable,

YES!

and b) why is that?

So you can sleep at night?

What if he turns off the light at night? Could he sleep then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would replace the cable. Either that or stuck a small fuse (1-2A
quick blow) on the part where the #14 taps into the 20A circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 2:30�pm, "Joseph Meehan"
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:17:05 -0400, "Em" wrote:

I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture
wouldn't overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I
have to fix my error and put in the larger cable, and b) why is
that? Thanks

Is it a code violation, certainly.
Will your house explode in flames? no.
14ga wire will carry 20a all day long, even at the 60c rating. 310.16
says so

* * At least in theory which is why there is a safety factor built into the
code.

*BUT 240.4(D) says you shall protect it with a 15a breaker to
build in the 80% safety factor. If the real load is limited to a
single luminaire it is not really a hazard but it is still against
code.

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

Come home resale time a nosy inspector will find it.

As you do the job the 2nd time you will have learned a lesson and will
avoid doing the same misrtake again

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:17:05 -0400, "Em" wrote:

I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't realize
I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't overload even
a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my error and put in
the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

I dont' like using anything less than the same size as a branch
circuit, but I was told in an example like this, that you can use 14#
taps in a 20a circuit. As long as the tap doesn't feed something to
over current the 14#.

Now I didn't verify this, since I use the same size, so check with
your electrical codes.

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

We went over this some months back, and I don't believe anyone could come up
with a code violation, which seems strange to me, but I know I couldn't find
one

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:17:05 -0400, "Em" wrote:

I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize
I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't overload
even
a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my error and put
in
the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

Is it a code violation, certainly.
Will your house explode in flames? no.
14ga wire will carry 20a all day long, even at the 60c rating. 310.16
says so BUT 240.4(D) says you shall protect it with a 15a breaker to
build in the 80% safety factor. If the real load is limited to a
single luminaire it is not really a hazard but it is still against
code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 3:15?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
We went over this some months back, and I don't believe anyone could come up
with a code violation, which seems strange to me, but I know I couldn't find
one

wrote in message

news

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:17:05 -0400, "Em" wrote:

I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize
I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't overload
even
a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my error and put
in
the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

Is it a code violation, certainly.
Will your house explode in flames? no.
14ga wire will carry 20a all day long, even at the 60c rating. 310.16
says so BUT 240.4(D) says you shall protect it with a 15a breaker to
build in the 80% safety factor. If the real load is limited to a
single luminaire it is not really a hazard but it is still against
code.- Hide quoted text -

somone 30 years from now could plug a power saw into a screw in
adapter and pull the full load 20 amps plus the breakers over currtent
amount.

24 amps on 14 gauge NOT GOOD AT ALL!

Yiour use may not be the next owners use

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Mar 2007 13:22:29 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 26, 3:15?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
We went over this some months back, and I don't believe anyone could come up
with a code violation, which seems strange to me, but I know I couldn't find
one

wrote in message

news

[...]

The screw-in adapters I've seen were rated 250W.

24 amps on 14 gauge NOT GOOD AT ALL!

Yiour use may not be the next owners use

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Noozer wrote:
"Em" wrote in message
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my
error and put in the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

So, when one of the wirenuts starts getting loose and causes an 19A circuit,
you feel safe knowing that the 20A breaker won't trip, but the 14awg wiring
isn't rating for 19A?

Em,
Is the 14awg cable switched, or not switched? If it's switched, I would
leave it alone (even though it is a technical code violation) because
nobody is gonna come along later and extend the circuit and install a
half dozen receptacles. If it is not switched, you have to be concerned
with what some idiot is going to add on to it 20 years from now.

Noozer,
14 gauge copper wire *is* rated for 20A, the code just says you have to
derate it to 15A anyway. Your 19A scenario wouldn't hurt anything.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree. I've never seen an inspector give wiring a second glance. And
I've never seen one open any box except the breaker panel.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"Bud--" wrote in message
.. .

You really have a fixation with home inspectors.

No home inspectior is going to find a piece of #14 to a fixture buried
downstream on a 20A circuit.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" then asked
Jackson wrote:
"Em" was just pondering this little gem:
I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't
overload even a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to
fix my error and put in the larger cable,

YES!

and b) why is that?

So you can sleep at night?

What if he turns off the light at night? Could he sleep then?

As long as the light is the only thing on the circuit.........
;-)