Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default tool for stripping wires without cutting them?

In article .com,
wrote:
I plan to install a remote starter in my car. I'd like to buy a tool
to strip the wires, if its not too expensive. I have a set of plier-
like ones, where you insert the wire into the correct slot, squeeze
the handles, then pull the wire through, shedding the insulation.

But that is only for stripping the ends of wires. I'd like to be able
to strip wires 'inline', without cutting them. Is that what an
automatic stripper does? Like
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.
or

Or is there another tool? Thanks.

Of these two the RS one is ideal for this purpose - provided you use the
correct size for the cable, and the sizes provided by the jaws cover the
cables in use.
I've got just about every cable stripper known to man and although the
automatic types sound like a good idea they simply don't match up to this
type for stripping with no chance of conductor damage - provided as I say
you use the correct 'notch' out of the four provided and make sure it's
aligned on the cable. If you're sloppy about this it makes a good cable
cutter. ;-) The snag is it needs more space to work than some other types.

This type is also of use as again won't damage the conductor but has to be
manually adjusted. Couldn't find it on the RS site, but most electricians
use them.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VA237.html

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?