Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Anthony Fremont Anthony Fremont is offline

Default tool for stripping wires without cutting them?

wrote:
I plan to install a remote starter in my car. I'd like to buy a tool
to strip the wires, if its not too expensive. I have a set of plier-
like ones, where you insert the wire into the correct slot, squeeze
the handles, then pull the wire through, shedding the insulation.

But that is only for stripping the ends of wires. I'd like to be able
to strip wires 'inline', without cutting them. Is that what an
automatic stripper does? Like
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062786
or

Or is there another tool? Thanks.

Those strippers are for stripping the end only. Their specialty is that
they "adjust" to the size of the wire automatically. This means they only
remove 10% of the strands along with the insulation. ;-)

Seriously, you should use a better connector instead. You don't want to
strip an inch of insulation off, you just want to displace enough insulation
to make a connection. Something like these:
http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/...er/output_html
Try to find some that have a moisture resistant grease inside. This will
not only keep water out, but the air too.